Gost Crabs??

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
ok, as some people here know I have two Emrald crabs in my tank. I only have two and have never put any more than that in. ok one day I find one died ok that sux but whatever, so I take it out. the a couple of weeks later I find the other one died, so I take it out. So now I have no crabs(if your folowing me)

then one night I see this big old thing in my tank and it is a big crab? big and healthy looking, ok I though it was just some freek thing. But today I found my crab died on the LR. so I take it out, and 10 min later I find the crab come out of the LR???? what the heck???

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Blue crabs are invertebrates meaning they lack a spinal column. Instead, the blue crab has a rigid exoskeleton (hard shell). The shell grows in discrete stages interspersed by molting, but the growth of internal tissue is more continuous. In order for the crab to grow larger, it must periodically shed its smaller shell through a process known as molting (or, more accurately, ecdysis.) Early in its molting cycle the crab slowly begins to form a new "soft" shell underneath its existing hard shell. There are certain marks or "signs" that allow experienced watermen to know how soon the crab will molt

Weird stuff...

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
yah, the hermits will molt and leave a carapace behind that you would swear to buddha is his little mangled body (but it isn't)...the emeralds on the other hand do not molt so they are dead dead dead when you find their pieces

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
ok. I just took the flashlight to my tank(at night) and guess what I have 2 crabs(alive). So I must not have Emrald's becuase I have took out 3 dead bodies already, and my crabs are still alive. The are about the size of a quarter and the are green. I will get pics. man that is so wierd!

Edit: ok just got some pics online, these look just like my crabs, same price, size, color, ????? Is it posible that Emralds do molt, cuz I'm pretty shure mine do.?? what do you guys think

Edit #2: ok I just read that Emrald's do molt...

Attachments

Last edited: