got my cycled ten gal but trouble.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i got my cycled ten gal,so i put my 3 guppies,1platy,1 leopard danio,4 small baby fish that are ethier mollies,guppies or platys, well i put them in and they were all doing fine so a while later after letting my betta ajust to the water temp i let her in and she did'nt flare and she was a happy fish, well i checked on them about 3 hours later and i spotted the female platy picking on my betta's back tail fin the very secound she did this my betta tail smacked her in the face and flared and chased her away will they get over this or will someone have to move out?

*also my betta is only pestered by the platy no one else bugs her , and she even enjoys the male guppy swimming beside her*

*same for my platy it's just she does'nt like my betta*

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They will probably get over this, especially if you have a bunch of decorations and plants (fake or real) in the tank for Miss betta to claim a territory. I answered this in your other post, but I think you'd do best to move the danio (and the betta if the platy is picking on her) into the other 10g and get some more danios for him to have a school. They will school fine with other danios, so you could have a variety... just not the giant danios.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Danios tend to be a little bit nippy when they don't have other danios to play "tag" with. I have a mini-school of 3 danios, and they happily swim around with eachother all day long and don't even glance at the other fish in the tank.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
i was led to believe that bettas were strictly a solo fish.. .i have only seen them in bowls on sink counters till recently. My brother had one and he would put it in the tank when he wanted to get rid of the fish he had.... said the betta will attack them.

I agree that is pushing the bioload for the 10G tank. I would move the betta out and let the tank go at that for a while see if it is managable... do lots of w/c to keep levels in check.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
we'll i checked on them this morning it seems someone straghtened out the platy she's completly staying away from my betta Spike now,and i don't wanna remove my betta cause i think it would stress her too much and i have no room to set up my other ten gal. or belieave me i would, my friend told me i could stock my tank , and i've been monitoring the lvls so far so good and the danio i can't even touch him without getting (yelled/killed) by my aunt so should i just wait a week and buy 2 more danios for him to be buddies with?, and to add to the danio he does'nt nip at the betta but he does try to race her which is kinda creepy, so far he has been really close to the guppies and never going to far from them.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
alright but like i said in the other thread, i am out of room if i could find anymore room i'd set up my tank ._. and the danio is not my fish so i can't move it without getting my aunt mad.if i can i could upgrade my tank to a 20+ but i don't have one.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
then for right now i would stick with what you have in there... the danios like company but it is not required. Just keep the fish you have and keep eyes on the levels of toxins in there. Do frequent w/c and don't over feed only feed once every other day or so. With that many fish you will be getting high levels of ammonia rapidly... wich means lots of waste which means lots of cleanings will be needed. I.E. Weekly/bi weekly

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
ya, i don't mind doing water changes every week, or when i first see signs of trouble and ammonia.It's actully kinda gonna be fun to keep a steady schedule, with homework,graduateing early from high school and doing my job/chores.I've always loved a good challage.