gourami and ????

markiss

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2005
casablanca, morocco
i am setting up a new 10 gallon community tank, planted and thinking of having gouramis as the star of the tank. i would love love to add tetras, and fancy guppies. does that sound good? gouramis are pretty good with each other right? like having honey gouramis and moonlight ones. how about a goldfish with gouramis??? enlightenment needed! thanks!

Last edited:

lisa1124

Small Fish
Oct 5, 2005
I'm still learning about fish care and this site has been very helpful. I would wait to hear from an expert but it seems to me that 10 gallons is small. I have a 37 gallon at home filled with lots of beautiful fish.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
well you could certainly have a honey gourami in the ten, but moonlights get to big. gourami's dont normally get along, espiecally not males, they're very territorial with each other. the females are more peaceful but most people prefer the males as they are the nicer ones.

honey gourami's would be fine with tetras, prefarably some of the smaller peaceful ones like lemon or neons, as nippy ones like phantom tetras might stress out the delicate honey gourami. i think guppies would be ok as the honey is one of the more peaceful gourami's and shouldnt go after them.

no goldfish with gourami's though.

markiss

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2005
casablanca, morocco
ok, so no moonlights in the ten. can i have like 3female honeys and 1 male? how many more neon tetras or guppies could i add? what plants work best for gouramis?? will there be a chance of spawning considering the ratio i will have? sorry if i ask too many questions... thanks for the quick responses lisa and phooey!!!

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
breeding can be complicated, as you will most likely have to move all the other fish out of the tank once the egss are layed as the male would become very aggressive in guarding the nest. if you wanted to breed them you'd have to set up a seperate special tank.

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
It is generally a 1" of fish to a gallon to balance out the bio-load. And then again you have to think about swimming space as well. If you wanted to keep Honey's, stick with one at first. They have inquisitive little personalities.

Also, a school of about 6 small tetras would be fine with one of the smaller gouramis. It is best to always add fish a little at a time and to always remember to check your water parameters for nitrate/nitrite/ammonia when adding fish.

markiss

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2005
casablanca, morocco
im sorry for confusing u all... the angels are in the 33gallon tank @ school. i was thinking if i could add honey gouramis with the angels in that tank. im not crowding angels and gouramis in a 10 .

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Angels and dwarf gouramis or honey gouramis should do well together in a 33g. The little gouramis are fairly passive to other species, and angels also don't go after much other than each other.