gourami bully

etucker

New Fish
Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 tetras and gold gourami that has been set up for about 2 weeks now. Last night I added a dwarf (red striped) gourami to the mix and the other gourami is chasing him around and pushing, he acts like he is nipping at the dwarf but I don't think it is hurting him. Will this stop or should I move the dwarf to another tank?? concerned, thanks.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I once had the same thing with a golden gourami doing that to a dwarf gourami. Eventually the golden killed the dwarf so I would definately suggest a move. However it may be best to switch out the golden gourami, as when they become fully grown they need something a little larger than a 10 gal. :)

jhansolo

Small Fish
Nov 11, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I'll take the golden out and put it in a bucket with a air pump and sponge filter for 2 days. After that I'll introduce both of them together in the main tank. As you have only set up your tank for 2 weeks, that might not been enough time for your filter to cycle, so watch your water parameters.

The other option is to buy a small floating breeding case and keep the golden there for a day or 2 , that should help as gourami are Territorial by nature.

Cheers

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
A 10 gallon is still to small to maintain two species of gouramis. Your Golden Gourami is one of the most aggressive species there is. If I were you, I would either exchange the golden for a less aggressive species, or keep only one agressive gourami to a tank. If you do not, be pepared for a dead dwarf gouarmi!

Sam Reef
10 Gallom Marine Aquarium
20 Gallon Freshwater Planted Aquarium

I had a 20 gal tank with 1 kissing gourami, 1 silver dollar and 1 pictus cat fish. I added 2 golden gourami. Eventually my kissing gourami died, then my silver dollar and then my pictus cat fish. Soon my golden gourami with a smaller dorsal fin was swimming on a slant, so i moved him into another tank. Then he got all better and his fins were back to normal. he was with 5 tetras, 2 platys, and 1 sword tail and didnt pick on them. Today i put both of my golden gourami with 2 blue gourami in a 75 gal. tank. So far everyone has been nice, but i plan on exchaning my gourami for other fish.

Devs

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2004
Pgh.,Pa.
Visit site
I don't know, I thinkgouramis are so pretty,but I've also had some pretty bad experiences. The gold ones...forget them-they tried to kill everyone,and almost did . I was down to one gold male and a pair of blue,and they constantly picked on the female blue until she had no fins left,and I had to change out her tank.She has made a complete recovery and is very content living in the 30 gal. cory tank.Meanwhile my gold male died(probably of meanness) and all the blue male does is hide now..I decided to try my luck with the female again..I put her back,and right from the start he was all over the poor thing-I thought I saw moments of "attempted"courtship but when her poor fins were getting messed up again,I couldnt stand it any longer and she went back to the corys. breeding habits for these fish are new to me. Are they usually that rough when they are trying to breed? And does the male always make the bubble nest first? I've tried to read up on it but I have yet to see the answers to this. He didnt make a bubble nest,but when he chased the female,it looked like he was trying to wrap himself around her like some of the breeding pics I've seen. All I know is that he's in another 30gal. tank with a pair of bristlenose,a couple of dwarf african frogs,a chinese algae eater,and a couple of corys. The tank looks empty unless you stare at the bottom for a while!lol All the male gourami does is hide in the back. I want to add something more,but now I don't know how he'll react

Apr 11, 2004
Visit site
I think some tetras would help bring him out in the open more. Of course he might also attack them and you should take that into consideration also. You have alot of bottom feeder but no midwater or upper water level swimmers so he is probably intimidated without other fishes swimming around. Yes they are that aggressive during courtship especially if the female is not a willing participant and or the tank is small. If she is not willing and can't escape his advances he would probably end up killing her. The male also usually build a nest of very fine bubbles before the actual spawning wrap so in that aspect it is very unusual to try this before having a nest at hand. Hope some of this helps.