Gourami changing colors

Jun 10, 2008
North carolina
hi! New fish owner here, had my tank for about 2 months now.
I have one Blue paradise Gourami (dude) and i'v noticed lately that he seems to become very dark and then he will be lighter shortly after. I beleive he is a male. He seems to like to spend most of his time chaseing the others around the tank. Anyway anyone know why that happens? It seems to have just started becasue the first month I had him he was pretty light colored. Now his spots darken and even his fins get dark at the ends. :rolleyes:

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
First off let me welcome you to the tank.:D WELCOME TO THE TANK!:p

Now is your gourami dark when you first turn the light on? If so then i think the reason he's darker is because there wasn't any light all night. Most if not all fish turn darker over night but, as the light fills the aquarium there pigments(what turns them light/dark)ajust to the light and they become lighter. It's basicaly camoflage. If he's always dark then it might be that he is matureing.But i'm not sure about that. Hope that i could help.

Jun 10, 2008
North carolina
My tank background is black .... maybe it is camoflage? My first tank had a diffrent background it was very bright blue. It cracked a few weeks ago and I got this tank with the black background already attached. So come to think about it i started noticeing the color change around the time that I put him in this new tank. Ahha!
Thank you for the welcome. :)