Gourami/Chiclid

Dec 11, 2006
North Carolina
www.myspace.com
I have a 3 inch black paradise gourami. I am starting up a new 10 gallon tank and am going to move the Gourami to it. I also have a friend who wants to give me a small 1.5 inch chiclid.

Do you think if I give the gourami time to be comfortable with the new environment, and establish himself as the dominant fish of the tank without the chiclid being overly aggressive towards the gourami.

Let me know if anybody has done a Gourami/chiclid combo before.

What kind of cichlid? That is the first question. Now my response:

I would never put any cichlid wit ha gourami unless you have adaquette(spl??) hiding space. And you simply dont have that in a 10g. Yes there will be agression. You also dont have the tank cycled wich is very important and will cause stress on the fish. If you choose to do a fish in cycle then watch the water params. Now to my point, short and simple: Dont try it!

If it is a Dwarf Gourami you might have a differet story. But cichlids(especially dwarf) are very fragile fish, and can be very agressive.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i think it all depends on the cichlid. if its a dwarf south american then yes id say it would be fine. if its african then no. if its something like a convict then definately no.

Dec 11, 2006
North Carolina
www.myspace.com
the gourami is a good half inch longer than the cichild. It's a Black Paradise Gourami and a small yellow/black cichild...I got the cichild from my friend who needed to get rid of him.

So far they seem to be alright

The night ahead is the true test. We'll see how they all come out of it in the end.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
small yellow black cichlid...oh no...i think i know what your talking about...the dreaded...melanochromis auratus...can and will (most likely) become VERY agressive. I have 2 in my 56gal with other agressive Mbuna, and the little buggers will pick and pick and pick and pick until someone gets mad and beats the snot out of them. So basically, that tank is never going to work if it is infact an auratus. Sorry

Dec 11, 2006
North Carolina
www.myspace.com
I decided to move the Gourami back to the other tank. It is in fact a melanochromis auratus. I love this little guy. I actually bought two baby ones and a Blue Cichlid today from my LFS. I'd been a community tank guy for a while, but my buddy needed to get rid of his M.A Cichlid so I gladly took it under my wing to start my own aggressive tank. Im' pleased with it.

The only reason the Idea came up is because the Black Paradise gouramis are very territorial..and I have two males. I was looking to give my smaller one a chance to be his own boss...but it just wasn't happening.

Cest la vie

all are happy now though

Last edited:

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Wait...
All those cichlids are in a 10gal now? That will definatly not work out in the long run. Not only will they get to large, there just isnt enough room for them at all. I suggest getting a larger tank, ASAP