Gourami eating habits?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Are Dwarf Gouramis known for messy eating habits? Cause mine certainly are! My dwarf gouramis will swallow a whole flake/crisp, then spit it back out in a dozen little pieces, then proceed to eat the little regurgitated bits. Sometimes they dont eat all the little bits before moving on to the next flake. I can see little clouds of food particles swirling about each time they eat a flake.

I'm begining to get worried about food waste and water quality.

Should I switch to a smaller flake or pellets?
I am using Tetra's Tropical Flakes which are designed to reduce waste while providing lots of vitamins/minerals.

Thanks!

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Alot of my smaller fish do that. Do you have any bottom feeders/scavangers,cause if you do they will eat any food that sinks to the bottom,thus limting (spl?) the amount of left over food you have.

If you dont have any bottom feeders,you might look into getting a small group of cory catfish,depending of corse,on the stock/stocking levels of your tank.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
yeah..i have 3 shrimps that should eat up the leftovers...prob is, most of the wasted food that is spitted out is too fine to scavenge I think. They look like tiny clouds of food as if the flakes dissolved fast..

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
My dwarf gourami does the same thing. When he first starts to eat he doesn't do this but as his stomach gets full he will do this some more. So I guess it's normal. He eventually goes through the whole tank picking all the food up from the bottom so I'm not really worried about waste. I kind of crush the food between my fingers as I sprinkle it into the tank so my flakes aren't really huge (for my neons).