Gourami groups?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Would it lessen the aggression if there were not just a few gouramis? Say a group of 8-10? Maybe with some bigger fish to scare them in line? Specifically the 3 spot group (opalines and/or golds?). Provided the tank is densely planted with driftwood and rocks/caves of course.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Presumably that would work, since it does in stores. You'd have to be very attentive and make sure that they were all eating and none was getting bullied too much, though. That might work particularly well if you could get 1 male and the rest female (or all female).

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
hummm, I may just have to do my best at trying this when I get the chance. Thanks Caps, seems noone else knows any more than I do, it's a gamble, but I have some obsession with filling a tank with gouramis! LOL

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I have a tank with one blood red dwarf gourami and three females. They are so much fun to watch! the male is constantly attending his bubble nest trying to the females to pay attention to him (they of course ignore him) He keeps taking the leaves that fall off my plants and surrounds his nest with them so he's really mucked up the one corner of the tank. Every now and then he'll chase the females but they just hide in the plants (I am in the process of setting up a bigger tank for them so they'll have more room to get away from him).

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I just think gouramis are such pretty and interesting fish. Out of all of the fish I would want to see in my tanks, gouramis top the list. Dang them and their unperdictable temperments!

*shakes fist like angry old man yelling at kids on lawn*

On a side note, I just picked up a 10gal I found cheap on craigslist (stealing the equipment, like I needed another 10gal, I have like 5 now LOL) and it came with a Black Molly, 8 black/dalmation molly fry (still silver, can't wait to see what I get), and a dwarf gourami! :) YAY! Finally I have a gourami that will be able to stay for more than 24 hours! :)

Anyway, I think he's a sunset, but I don't know the differance (if any) between all the lables they have out for yellow/orange dwarf gouramis, LOL they all look the same!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I think all the dwarf gouramis are the same, different color morphs... Colisa lalia or something like that. That's for the flame, red, blue neon, etc. But I'm pretty sure honeys are different.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Colisa chana I think.

Gouramis are naturally pretty territorial, or rather males are. I doubt a group will be ideal down the road.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I know their all the same sub species and all that, I just loose track of all the different names they have for these guys, I think he looks like a sunset to me, so that's what he shall be. Oddly enough I named him Sonny kinda more as a refrance to the movie 'Big Daddy' although his colors might have had some influance also LOL.

Wanna hear something weird? I woke up to a bubblenest in his quarentine tank, and I watched for a while to see him build on it, and low and behold here comes my female black molly blowing bubble after bubble making this nest! I think she's been watching him too long LOL, he doesn't seem interested in building a nest although he does blow bubbles, he never puts them anywhere.

Wayne, I know that, that's why I asked, I think if I outnumber the males with females (only 1-3 males and the rest females) and I give them enough room and plants/decor, maybe a few bigger fish to scare them so that they aren't the dominant fish in the tank, MAYBE I can get it to work. They seem to do fine in pet stores all grouped together, which I know is nothing to count on, but I am hoping.