Gourami Info

I've been thinking about getting 1 for my 32 Gal tank and i was just wondering what kind would be good for a community tank because at my LFS i see on their labelled as either territorial or aggressive (i think they only have Gold, Blue and Dwarfs) .. i was just wondering what would be good for my tank if any at all

Last edited:
May 29, 2004
U.K
Visit site
yeh, my two dwarf gouramis are anything but aggressive in my community tank, they are one of the most peaceful fish, so why they have got aggressive we will never know.....!!
:S

Last edited:
parky...do you have a pair (m/f) or more than one male? What it seems to be is the aggression is with males of the same species. 2 male gouramis will fight, a male and some females won't. A male gourami and a betta will fight as well...tho mine don't...but my betta is really laid back...put the high strung betta in my 2 gallon in with a gourami and it'd be a fight to the death.

of course there are exceptions to everything...but the general rule is more than one male gourami spells trouble.

i bought a Powder Blue Gourami today and it likes to chase around my sharks and the plecos i have are the basic 1's you find in the stores, i know they get big but mine are still pretty small and i know someone with a bigger tank that i can give them to and my sharks are a fair size but they havent grown at all i dont think except my smallest 1 (i think they grow to their environment) my friends are the same. their fun to watch especially during feeding time, if they do end up growing to a good size i can always give them to my friend with the bigger tank as well

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
My Pearls have been pretty good as far as a community fish. I have 2 males in my 40 gallon, and they only pick on each other for now.

I would suggest 1 male Pearl and 1 or more females - just to spread the love!