Gourami, its not dropsy

smurf

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Canada
I have a dwarf gourami and he has developped a bulge, but I don't think that it is dropsy. It's not a bulge in his tummy that makes him look like a 'pine cone'. Instead it is close to his gills/head, and it is only on one side of the body. (if he was human I would say it looks like he just got a few teeth pulled) He has been hiding a lot lately, but I attributed that to the fact that we just got a new (fake) plant in the tank and he really liked it.

Two weeks ago my tank had ick and 2 fish died :( but this fish survived and seemed fine until today. This bulge developped very quickly.

In the tank with him are a red tailed shark, a tetra, a loach and a barb. We wern't sure about the mix but they seem to all get along well. I have not seen anyone fight with the gourami. It doesn't look like he has been bitten there is no sore on the wound.

Any info will help, I am worried about my Gourami, but I also want to make sure that it won't spread to the other fish.

Thanks

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
My first guess was going to be Dropsy, however what your describing seems different. I suppose it could be some type of Cyst, but I wouldn't think it would come on that fast. Have you done a search of the Disease forum threads? It may turn something up, I'd do that while you wait for more experienced people to chime in on this thread :D

smurf

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Canada
Is it possible that he inhaled a rock or something else unhealthy and that is making him sick? If so is there a way to treat that?

smurf

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Canada
Ok, I think things are getting worse and no one is helping me. I do research online and it brings up nothing. The peope in the fish stores here are useless, they contradict each other and just want you to buy stuff.

When the bulge apeared there was no external mark on his body what so ever. Then, a mark began to apear, and now its growing, now it looks liek a sore and like the whole thing is gonna fall off and leave a hole in his face.

He doesn't seem too concerned about it, he is still acting fine and eating, which has to be a good sign, but how long this will last I don't know. Also, I am worried that other fish are going to want to start to nibble at this wound.

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
I'm not much help on this one because my first guess would be dropsy, but could it possibly be a tumor? I think this simply because you stated that the bulge is on one side of his face. Try looking up some pictures, once you have confirmed it with pictures you may be able to find more information.

smurf

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Canada
Thanks for trying, I apreciate it. I bet it would be eaier if you could actually see him. I cannot find any picture like it on the internet. I was thinking it was cancer maybe, but when you google fish and cancer the net just tells you how fish oils are good for fighting cancer :eek:

The tumorish thing has now fallen off and now there is just a big hole. But its not spreading to the rest of his body (or the other fish thank God). He doesn't seem too bothered by it, he's still eating, so I guess all I can do is hope for the best.

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
smurf, it kinda sounds like Hole In The Head, but im no expert. search that in google and see what you can find. im having trouble with my dwarf gourami, im pretty sure he has something thats killing my other fish but i cant figure it out either.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Smurf, first things first, how big is this tank and what are your water parameters? It would be rare for a small fish like a gourami to get hole in the head, but of course possible. Can you take any pictures of him? I would buy some melafix from the pet store and dose your tank with that, especially if it looks like it could have been an infection. Also get your water parameters measured ASAP.

smurf

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Canada
WOW! That's exactly what it is! Who would of thought that they would have called it exactly what it sounds like! That's almost too obvious. From what I have been reading I think my tank to be exactly as it should be but I will look into it some more and get on treatment right away!

Thank you so much for your help!*SUPERSMIL

smurf

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Canada
....at least that is what is sounds like...

in this pic Hole in the Head - Fish Disease - Diseases in Tropical Fish and Goldfish. the bump on the fish's head, that is what he looked like, but he didn't have any other dots.

Our water seems fine now, but I am thinking maybe the treatment for the other fish who had ik effected him, and we changed most of the water after that but then there seemed to be some resedue left, but everything has been cleaned up since then. I think i might have accidentally shocked my fish with the ik treatment

smurf

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Canada
Hey, I just wanted to give you guys an update:

I didn't do anything, I was not completly sure what was wrong and I didn't want to risk things getting worse wih the shock of a wrong treatment, I just wated him closely and....he just got better :) The sore and swelling slowly went away and he's back to normal, I'm very happy.