Gourami question

apexi

New Fish
Oct 22, 2005
I was wondering can my gouramis survive if i put it like in a fish bowl with like no air pump or filter.. almost like a fighting fish.. can i do that?

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
Gouramis are fish that come up for air just like bettas but the amount of space they require is totally different. Gouramis grow to be much bigger fish. Most importantly in order for the gourami to be happy it needs to be both filtered,heated, and have adaquate space for free swimming. I highly wouldn't recommmend putting a gourami in a fish bowl.

apexi

New Fish
Oct 22, 2005
yes but it should only be temporary..like for about2 weeks max. i have an injured gourami from my other fish and i dont want to make it recover in the tank it was beaten up in.. so can i still do that? i should be recieving a call about a 250 gal tank with a week so when i buy that the gourami will possibly be the only fish in there until i can get more money

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Is there a way you can isolate it in the current tank? Like a breeder box or something? Otherwise, it's probably better for the fish to be seperated into a bowl than to be chewed to death. Just make sure to change some water frequently, and fill the bowl up with water from the tank so he isn't going into entirely new water and heat/pH.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you're planning on getting something as large as a 250g, you will definitely need a quarantine/hospital tank in the future, so it might be a good idea to get one now. It will save you a lot of money on medication, and if you use it as a quarantine, it will save a lot of your fish in the future. :)