gourami question

pitch

New Fish
Nov 25, 2006
I'm new to having gourami's.I just bought a gold gourami and when I got it home I noticed that one of its feeler rays was split length wise in two.Is this normal for this particular fish.Or sould I be concerned about this fish being damaged and take it back to the store.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Are you sure it's not just a string of something? I've never even heard of that happening? Their feelers are so thin to begin with. I wouldn't worry about it, if it did happen, it's not a big deal, it will heal.

pitch

New Fish
Nov 25, 2006
If you've never heard of that happening with these fish before.How do you know it will heal.Could it possibly have a desease that will spread to the other fish.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Most often it splits in the middle, and not along the middle or "length wise in two" as you describe.

In other words, if it is broken in half (or somewhere thereabouts), just leave it be. It is not uncommon, and it will heal.

Big Vine

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It should be fine... I bet the split off piece will either fall off or just always stay like that... but either way, the fish won't mind and it won't hurt the fish any. They do grow back if they fall off from being split in half, so it should heal fine split the other way, too.

pitch

New Fish
Nov 25, 2006
healing ray

The injured ray dropped off.And now there is a new one growing in its place.Its about one inch long now.MissFishy was right.Thanks for the advice.:)

Last edited: