gourami tank limits?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I'm always conservative in my stocking, but I would go with 1 Male Gourami up to maybe a 55gal, where you might be able to get away with 2 Male Gouramis. You can squeeze 1 gourami in a 10gal, but a 20gal would probably be a lot better. Lots of links on the web, just run a search.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
there is NO such rule that a betta HAS to live in a 1gal bowl! a betta could live in a 55gal ALONE, it doesnt make any difference. there is no max to tank size, but there is a minimum

EDIT - sorry for those multiple posts, comp lagged and i clicked the button lots of times, and yeah...srry lol

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I said I thought a gourami would probably be happy in a 10 gal by itself, and even better off in a 20 gal. They are pretty active fish. If you plan to keep him with other fish, I would say the minimum is a 20 gallon fish tank.

FYI: Until recently, my male betta was in a 20 gal tank and was the most active fish in there. Please don't keep your bettas in bowls, they are so beautiful to see actually swimming around a tank.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i know, i mean the limit like i would never keep a betta lower then a gal bowl like them ugly little cups they sell them in ;_;

i was just useing them as examples and such i know bettas can live in 1 gal up to probly up to 500 gal and such as long as they get air .>.>

x.x i kinda get messed up with words minimum limit i should change my wording to and i was only useing the betta as an example of what info i wanted like for goldies 20-30 gals for the first 10 gals for the secound, i needed to know minimum tank requirements for gouramis i'm writeing about them for fun and just want to have notes and lots of info on hand if i ever deside to get one.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
So you're saying you are considering gold gouramis?

They are a variation of the blue or three spot gourami, trichogaster trichopterus. I kept my blue gourami in a ten gallon tank for a few years and she was always happy. Now she's in a twenty gallon tank, and just as happy. So I guess I would say the minimum is ten gallons. But only alone. Gold/blue gouramis will likely be aggressive enough to cause damage to each other in anything less than perhaps a 38g tank. Even then, I wouldn't chance it.

Wonderful fish.