Gourami tank?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
has anyone had experience with this type of set up? i would like to give it a try but dont know much about stocking n stuff, ive heard of people having gourami tanks before and wanted to know if they are aggressive to each other? any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
agressiveness depends on the species of Gourami....

dwarf Gourami are usually kept alone (1 male), they tend to be aggressive to each other.... other more aggressive gourami are gold and kissing gourami.

some of the more peaceful ones are pearl, blue and opaline (i'm partial to Pearls myself :D)

as with any type of fish they vary a lot in behaviors. just do lots of research into the gourami you like best and i'm sure you'll find suitable tankmates

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I had a horrible time with opalines. I had 4 originally, but one killed all the others :( Where I am, I have never seen a female gourami of any type for sale. If you can get a mix of males and females, it becomes a lot easier, apparently. Pearls are supposedly the most peaceful. The non-dwarf types get pretty large, so you would need a fairly large tank for a group of them.

Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
ill put it flat- dont get guramis- they can get aggressive (but not COOL and aggressive- just stpuid and aggressive... sounds stupid but its true) just get cichlids and oscars, and big fish. big fish are better. once i had a dwarf gurami and put in a couple cardinals and the damn gurami attacked and eventually ate all of them... so i baught a green terror to eat the gurami :) aah the food chain- be on top!

Oct 22, 2002
Whoa, I thought this was a forum for praising gourami, not feeding them to cichilds. Gouramis have personalities but if you want to make sure there is little to no aggression in the tank I have some ideas. Go for a tank 29 gals or bigger. You could try dwarfs, not blue or opaline as they can be very peaceful or extremly aggressive, and most certainly pearls will work.
Another option is the croaking gouramis, or the sparkling gouramis. They could mix with honeys or dwarves and produce a great tank.
Here's what I would try:

29-gal

2 male honey
4-6 female honey
6 croaking gourami
6-8 black ruby barbs

55-gal

3 male honey
8-10 female honey
10 croaking gourami
15-20 black ruby barbs
2-3 pearls

Remeber the secret is calm surface, lots of space, and plenty of plants with gourami!!;)

May 11, 2003
Canada
I am interested in a gourami tank as well. How does this sound in either a 55 or 75 Gal.

4 Pearls
2 Golds (female)
2 Blue / Opalines (female)
3-5 Dwarf Honey and Neon Blue

Oct 22, 2002
That sounds ok, blues = golds, so they are the same fish, but be careful with blue gourami. Once settled they can be aggressive. Put them in last and the pearls first. Also put in plenty of plants, and I would try two schools of ten-twelve barbs per school.