Gourami

Valerie

Small Fish
Dec 11, 2003
Alaska
Visit site
I was wondering..... if i put two female(dwarf) gouramis together would they be aggressiveto each other? I want to put these fish in a 30 community tank and I dont want them to be aggressive to my other fish either. Thankyou for all the help. :)

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
well i think dwarfs would be fine in that tank, its easy to tell males from females, males are slightly bigger and a much more brightly coloured, while females are smaller and are just silver with a hint of gold. If i were you i'd just get one male dwarf as the are much nicer looking than females, why not try a neon blue dwarf.

Valerie

Small Fish
Dec 11, 2003
Alaska
Visit site
I was reading some information about gouramis and alot of people said that were aggresive to the other fish they had in there tank. What are you experinces with them in a community tank?

And if I did get a male by itself wouldn't it be lonely?

I was also considering getting a male and female together and put it together in a ten gallon. Is ten to small?And would they get along fine?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A male or female gourami won't get lonely on its own.

You could put a male and a female dwarf in a 10g together, but you couldn't put a blue, opaline or pearl in there. As long as it stays under 2 inches (dwarf cinnamon, powder blue or neon blue), it will be OK in a 10g.

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
If you condition Gouramis right and give them good nest building material then it really shouldn't be a problem.

Gouramis build bubble-nests, so riccia is a wonderful plant to have in the tank if you're trying to breed them. Also in order to condition them, lowering the water just a bit and feeding your gouramis live foods helps.

I wouldn't say it's easy, but with a little enthusiasum it can defintly happen.

Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
I've had 2 females together, 2 females and a male, a pair, and just a male.

DG's are inoffensive to even the smallest fish. 2 females will "spar" but eventually pick out territories and leave eachother alone. A male and female is a good bet. The males are actually more shy and LESS aggressive.

doctawife

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2003
Houston, TX
Visit site
Terribly. They will try to kill each other. And eventually, one will succeed. I have two females together in my twenty-nine gallon and they seem to get on fine. Then again, they are different sub-types, so that helps.

-doctawife