Gourami

AVenom

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2005
Hey guys/gals
I have 4 gourami in a 55 gallon tank.
2 of them have been changing color to almost blue.
They are making bubble nests in the corner of the tank.
We are not interested in breeding these fish.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dave

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Short of seperating them there's not alot you can do.They may just be going through the motions and may not actually breed,if your lucky.
If I were you I'd sit back and enjoy the show.If they do produce you can always give them to the LFS.

AVenom

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2005
Well I'm not sure....we just bought a home that has a built in fishtank in the living room wall, and the fish were included.
2 are all silver, no spots or colors, and 2 have black spots and became blue and spotted during this episode.
I'd assume they are 4-5 inches long, and 2-3 inches tall.
I have a friend who is into fish, and he told me he'd never seen gourami like ours.
I've seen simaliar ones online called "Giant silver gourami" or "pearl gourami"
My wife said they might be "kissing gourami", but I think they are too big.

Tonight they took a piece of one of the live plants, and placed it in the corner of the tank. They then began blowing bubbles on it.

Last edited:

AVenom

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2005
I honestly don't know anything about them.
Don't know how old they are, don't know how long they've been in the tank.

As far as them pairing up, I haven't noticed. THey all just kind of swim around together.

But again they are starting another nest this morning.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
when you say 'they', are they all building one big bubble nest. What sex are they ?To tell is your have males or females look at the dorsal fin, on males it will come to a point, on females it will be shorter and rounder.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
First off, kisser gourami can up to a foot in length, as far as I know they are the biggest gourami available. Also some of the strangest as the males kiss. Anyway, your silver gourami you talk about are probably moonlight gourami, and the other two do sound like blue gourami. Why don't you want to breed them?

Attachments

Last edited:

AVenom

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2005
jeremy said:
First off, kisser gourami can up to a foot in length, as far as I know they are the biggest gourami available. Also some of the strangest as the males kiss. Anyway, your silver gourami you talk about are probably moonlight gourami, and the other two do sound like blue gourami. Why don't you want to breed them?
Yea that's exactly what 2 of them look like.

Well I don't want more fish first of all...second, the 2 blue ones are making the nest. They are attacking all the other fish in the tank, to the point of injuring the moonlights.
There is 1 male, and 1 female of each kind. So one male, and one female blue...and one male, and one female moonlight.

I decided to leave the nest alone so far this time....but I will end up taking it out of the tank.
How often will the do this?
I think by cleaning the tank, lowering the water level during cleaning, and adding live plants kind of sparked this spawning.

again, we just don't want or need more fish.
I'm thinking we will have to get rid of these fish if they continue to do this. It makes the the other fish very mad, and unhappy. Anyone in the Rochester NY area want some gourami?

Last edited:

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i suggest that you get rid of them, they will continue to try and breed and they will cause severe stress for the other fish, take them to your local fish shop, i'm sure they'll be happy to take them for you, and there may even be a couple of people who are actually looking to find a pair of gouramies to breed.

also the kissing gouramis isnt the biggest available gourami, its the giant gourami, check it out :eek:

AVenom

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2005
lol yea, I've seen pictures of those

So I just got in from work, and there are hundreds of little tiny "fry" I believe they;re called, in the tank.
THe male is scooping them up and bringing them back to the nest.
I do not plan to remove any of the fish, will any of the little ones survive?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
the male will probably guard them for a few days, but as soon as they leave the nest and are on their own most of them will get eaten, however i think blue gouramis can have like 500 hundred eggs at once, so theres a good chance a few will survive.

AVenom

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2005
Well I think they are going to the pet store today. They have done some damage to the other gourami in the tank, so they need to be seperated.
On to new fish I guess. All one sex I think...lol

Hey phOOey thanks for the help....where exactly is Nottingham in the UK?
My family is from Cardiff, Wales.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
No problem :). yeah one sex would be easier, females would probably be safest, males can be aggressive.

nottingham is in central england, slightly to the east, about a 6 hour drive from cardiff.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
phOOey said:
i suggest that you get rid of them, they will continue to try and breed and they will cause severe stress for the other fish, take them to your local fish shop, i'm sure they'll be happy to take them for you, and there may even be a couple of people who are actually looking to find a pair of gouramies to breed.

also the kissing gouramis isnt the biggest available gourami, its the giant gourami, check it out :eek:

I forgot about those. Ok, then the kisser is the second biggest you can get lol

AVenom

Medium Fish
Sep 15, 2005
Well we got rid of the 4 gourami today, just dropped them off at the pet store.
Is it a good idea to wait to get the new cichlids?
We have a pleco, and a loach in there now with a bunch of fry....
Will cichlids eat them?(the fry)
I wanted to give the tank another good cleaning before getting new fish, but I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do. Maybe I should get them now while the water is all good....any suggestions?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
well pretty much all cichlids would eat those fry, i'm sure that your loach has been eating his fair share of them already, do you know what type of loach it is? You dont have to give your tank a good cleaning before you buy more fish, just regualr maintanence like a 25% water change should be just fine.

i suggest that you start a new topic in the cichlid section if your looking for ideas of what cichlids to get.