Gouramis and Bettas in same tank?

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I have a male betta plakat in a 5.5 gal tank. The heater is small and doesn't seem to work that well. I put the betta in the 20 gal tank along with the blue paradise gourami, neon blue dwarf gourami, red tail shark and two corys. So far, the blue dwarf chases the male betta and nudges him with his nose and brings his fins to attention. Will the dwarf gourami kill the male betta? I thought bettas and gouramis could house together. Is this not true? The male betta plakat flares and chases the paradise blue. Will the male betta plakat (sp?) kill the paradise gourami? If a fish will be dead in the AM, please answer this thread ASAP as I will need to run to Wal Mart to get a new heater for the 5.5 gal tank (since Wal Mart's 24/7). Thanks for anyone's help. :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Bettas and gouramis are related, and both can be very territorial. I don't imagine you'll ever get the three of them to live peacefully. They might not kill one another actively, but the weakest will be harrassed and die of stress.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
To go along with what capslock said, they are both in the Labrynth family and should not be housed together. Secondly, a betta tank does not need a heater. They will do fine at room temp, as long as it isnt freezing, he will be fine. So, you shouldn't need a heater for the 5 you have the betta in.

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
Well, since the gourami's were in the tank already it has established its territory and the new betta would just simply intrude causing it to be chased. Bettas do not need heaters as stated above put it back into the 5.5 tank.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
1. Bettas are tropicals, they do best at 76 to 78F (above most room temps) and their immune systems are directly tied to water temperature... so a cold betta is more likely to get sick than a warm betta. Keep them heated if at all possible. And yes... lots of bettas survive at lower temperatures, but its far from ideal.

2. No, gouramies and bettas do not mix, this is Betta Keeping 101. Some exceptions always exist, but its only asking for trouble.

Also, bettas are not good community fish and prefer their own territory. I would suggest you leave him in the 5 gallon and get a heater next time your out if you can afford it.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
depends

My Betta is an a 6 gal, and I do not use a heater since my room is very warm, and the temp in the tank is 76-78 degrees. If you can't find a good heater perhaps you can put the Betta's tank in a warmer draft free room. You do not want him cold as that will make him inactive and stress out which would shorten his life span.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Thanks to all of you. Last night I took the betta out of the tank and put him back in the 5.5 gal. I also added a heater for him. Last night before I took him out, he and the neon dwarf were circling nose to tail. I am not sure if this was the "fighting dance" but immediately removed the betta. (I only put him in this tank so he would be warm.) The LFS sales person said he thought the betta and gourami would do just fine. I am so glad I did not buy a second neon blue dwarf gourami. Appreciate everyone's time. :)

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
I would not recomend going to that fish store again then. I hate it when fish store give out bad info. All they have to do is work with fish. How hard is it to know the basics.