Gouramis fighting

Jul 8, 2003
New Jersey
I am new to this forum but anyway, I have a 10 gallon tank which has started to leak and it has a marble angelfish the size of a dollar coin, and two male dwarf gouramis. The gouramis are somewhat fighting. One male is a bit smaller than the other. I just recently got them since my tank was a bit empty. Are gouramis especially males fight for territory. I am getting a 26 Gallon Bow Front soon but don't know when. Do you think they will stop fighting if they had more room. Maybe adding females to it would help or would they be harrassed?:confused: :(

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
they will probably stop fighting with more room. generally males will fight, but not if they have enough room and hiding spaces. getting females could go either way, they might stop fighting altogether or they could fight even more. but hey, it's worth a shot :)

Jul 8, 2003
New Jersey
I think I should get the new tank soon as my ten gallon is leaking large amounts now. I am planning to get some female gouramis, and two more Angels as well as congo tetras. Do you think they will become food? Might as well get a new filter as well.

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
i don't think anything will get eaten. the tetras might actually get bigger than your dwarf gouramis. the angels could get agressive, especially when they get bigger, so just watch and see. it kinda all depends on the angel, some are real docile, others are more agressive.

a new filter is a good idea, make sure you cycle the new tank as to not harm your fish :)

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that tank may very well go boom soon -- the leakage rate is going to go up as the hole gets bigger and the weight of the (remaining) water bears down. I'd do something -- quickly! :)

Regarding the gouramis -- I was taught that the rule is roughly "one or several, but not two." If you go for several, and are bent on keeping the two males, I'd go buy three to four females.

Of course, that means a gourami-centric tank, and I'm not sure you want that in your new tank. In which case, then, I'd opt for keeping the healthier of the two males and returning the other.

It's true, however, that in a bigger tank, two males might be okay -- with gouramis, you just never know for sure. It tends to be very specific to the individual fish's temperament.

Jul 8, 2003
New Jersey
The tank did go boom last night but good thing I had a old 2.5 gal tank to back up. Just a couple days won't kill he Marble and the Gouramis would it? It has a mini (25 Watt) heater and a pump. The 26 gallon is cycling atleast a couple days before anything goes into it. Now I just need to beg my parents (Hey I'm still a kid) to get those wooden stands for aquarium. They are freakin expensive for a stupid stand. My "budget" is out of hand right now. I just bought a new watch for $95.99 and owe my parents money for the tank. Thanks you everyone for helping me.

2.5Gal- Emergency Tank
10 Gal- In the garbage.
26 Gal- Cycling