Gouramis getting fatter

Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Don't worry

Its funny how greedy Gouramis are , huh? Well, Gouramis tend to gain weight extremely quickly when they each "rich" foods, ie. waffers and small worms. I fed my Goldens worms for about 3 weeks and they balloned to the size of small Oscars. Just regulate their intake (greediness) for a little while, and they will be fine.

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto Canada
Visit site
I disagree with scorpio. If you are feeding that much you're nutty. Sorry to say. Think about this- you weigh about 160lbs lets say. in a DAY, you eat less than 1lb of food on average. Your fish weigh a couple of grams. Not to mention the fact that you spend 90% of your energy on keeping your body temp over 96. Fish dont waste anywhere near that. Infact, most fish dont spend energy on their body temp at all. Thats why you need a heater.

If you got an algae eater, I assume you got it to eat algae? Whats with the wafers? All your fish should eat spirulina sometimes because its very healthy. But consider this. My 3 baby cichlids, 1 dwarf gourami, 3 corries, and 2 plecos all share one EIGHTH of an algae wafer every 2 days. Its more than enough. Think about how much food you're really giving them. A whole algae wafer to a fish is the same as 28 Large Pizzas to you. The difference is the fish will literally eat till it pops.

We all love our fish- but don't forget they're freaking STUPID.