Grape caulerpa

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
anyone have these guys? just noticed that i have a huge vine of grapes in my tank XD.

what surprised me the mos was it started with a shot vine with maybe 10 grapes. now its over 5" wide and well over 100 grapes. seems faster then my chaeto.

does anyone else have anyother microalgae? other then chaeto?

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I have a couple types of caulerpa, some brown algaes, pavona (?) and some other macroalgaes.
I tihnk caluerpoa does grow faster than Chaeto., but it's less fashionable now as it's more prone to crashing, especially if you're a bit rough pruning it. Did you know each strand is a single cell, so you have to pull it out in lumpos rather than cut it, otherwise all the cells collapse and die.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Pull it out by hand is the best way in my experience. Any cutting often seems to end in loads of dieback for a couple weeks.

And no , not a bio major. Science subject tho,plus 20 years plus experiene in natural science

May 14, 2008
Canada
Pull it out by hand is the best way in my experience. Any cutting often seems to end in loads of dieback for a couple weeks.

And no , not a bio major. Science subject tho,plus 20 years plus experiene in natural science
I am trying desperately to rid my tank of the grape caulerpa. So you're saying if I cut it off instead of pulling it off the rocks by hand it will die? Does the resulting death put any kind of a strain on the tank such as abnormal ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?