gravel cleaner

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
hi all what should i get to clean my gravel. i did have a cucumber that did a good job for a wile till i had a very bad amonis spike and it spat its guts and never survived.

just wondering if there is anything else that would be good for a gravel cleaner, i have white argonite (crushed coral) but its pretty brown now.

cheers aron.

Chuck Nasty

Medium Fish
Apr 21, 2005
Houston Texas
Well i know when i clean my live sand all i use is one of thoes syphon things that takes the sand in there but does not let it go out with the water.It works real good and i have never had a prob with it.If u go look for one it has a big and long head on it then it has the toob.Hope that helps you out

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
yeah just that i have LR i can only get to the front 3rd of the sand.

was just seeing (as my cucmber used to crawl in and out of the rocks and clean the sand in there) if there is anything else that would clean the sand (accualy it isnt sand it 3ml crushed coral)

cheers
aron.

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
i wouldn't get a sand sifting starfish. it would destroy your sandbed. cucumbers, nassarius snails, conches, cerith snails, and maybe a sandsifting goby would do the trick. but the goby might also destroy your sandbed...

siphoning your entire sandbed isn't necessary either as you will siphon out all the critters that make a healthy sandbed.

how long have you had your aquarium running for? everybody gets algae when they first set it up. i see on your website you only had it up and running for a few weeks but you keep on adding live rock. this could also be causing your water's conditions to fluctuate.

Tim

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
i haven updated the website in a month. (had an accedent with a light falling on my ref and smashing - cutting up my hands in the process- getting stitches out this friday) so my tank has been up and running for about 3 months now.

Dustin - i have an urchin already, and it does a great job, but cant get into little areas as the cucumber could.

i might just go get another cucumber.

cheers aron.