Gravel cleaning question

i'm looking into buying a new gravel cleaner. i saw the Python No Spill Clean n Fill and the Marina Aquavac Easy Cleaner. never seen these types before. does anyone own either and do you like it? sounds like something great to have but i don't want to drop $50-$100 on it if i hear it's not that great. haven't seen any reviews about it on some websites that sell them.

also, my tank is still new and still in 'cycle' mode. after finding out later that i have problems with ammonia, the LFS employee told me to do a water change. when i went back later for a water test, i told him i did a sweep of the gravel. he said i should not have done that right now and it should only be done occasionally. is that true? i forgot to ask him why so i'm asking here. does it have something to do with bacteria growing and i may have interrupted that? how often should it be done? i thought if i turn the gravel over and clean whatever is under it, it could possibly help w/ the ammonia. appreciate any insight on my questions. thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
Are you doing a fish-in cycle? If so, yes, getting debris out by gravel vacuuming is a great thing to be doing to keep your ammonia down. The fish will make plenty more waste for bacteria to feed on. And while bacteria do grow on hard tank surfaces like gravel and decorations, most of it is in the filter (provided you don't have an under-gravel filter...), so you don't really need to worry too much about gravel cleanings. I would keep doing them at every water change right now so you can keep the ammonia down for the good of your fish, even if your cycle will take longer as a result.

Oh, and I personally haven't used the expensive things to vac my gravel, mostly because my siphon hose works just fine. Sure it doesn't make my gravel like-new, but it gets out the poo and food during weekly water changes.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
As was stated most of your benifitial bacteria is in your filter media.
It is also on ornimates,glass and fake plants. I vacuum every time during my weekly water changes.
The main thing is to use a dechlorinater when doing water changes otherwise you will kill all your good bacteria.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I have six tanks running and up until last year, I used buckets to drain and fill the tanks during water changes. I kick myself regularly for not purchasing the python sooner. If you have but one tank and it is smaller than 50 gal, then perhaps handheld vaccum might suit you but the python makes water changes a snap in that there is no more carrying buckets involved.
In new tanks,, I would not get to aggressive with gravel vaccuming. Is true that the majority of bacteria will be in the filter but the large surface area that substrate provides is also home for the bacteria and disturbing it,,will sometimes slow down the development of the bacteria a little. There should be no need for vaccuming if you are feeding sparingly during the maturing process or cycling. When I vaccum the gravel ,whether it be in new tank, or established,mature tank, I split the tank into thirds.Each week, I vaccum one end of the tank. The next week, I vaccum the middle, the following week, I vaccum the other end. In this way too much bacteria is not lost at once. If you have reason to vaccum during the cycling process, or maturing process, then you should perhaps cut back on feed and I would recommend vaccuming as I described to keep from depleting too much bacteria. Also be sure to not disturb the filter during this time unless it bcomes clogged to where water does not flow as normal. Shouldn't be a problem if not overfeeding. If you do need to clean filter material at this time ,or any other time from now on,, Always clean it in old aquarium water that you take out during water changes. Simply swish the material around ,and stick it back in . You can do this until the material begins to literally fall apart and it will save you money on replacing the material. Cleaning it with tapwater is never recommended for the chlorine in the tapwater will destroy much of the beneficial bacteria that is housed there. Hope some of this helps.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
1077 explained very well.
i have to admit i do bucket routine for my 3 tanks.
2 are downstairs and 1 upstairs. the length of hose would be just a bit more than i can justify, $100.00.
if and when i ever get my 75 gal ill think a bit more about it, but for now i do the old fashioned way LOL !..
its no problem when transporting clean ( dechlorinated water ) to the tank and you spill. Its the dirty, nasty water thats a pain in the arrs.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Bworski,

You can buy much cheaper vinyl tubing at Lowes or Home depot for the length you need.Just need a plastic or rubber connector and you could hook up to your current gravel vac. Run it outside or to a drain. Then have your bucket handy. Start your siphon as usual and when it is draining into the bucket, slap it on the tubing that leads out.

That way you can avoid the buckets of dirty water on the trip down. Plus if you put it outside to your plants they will love you lol.

I highly reccomend the python. I have had mine for many many years now. If you do get one, I suggest picking up the optional brass fitting that you hook up to your sink. The threads on the plastic one can get messed up. Especially if you thread it wrong .

My mother in law had an off brand and hers was not as nice as my python brand. Her part that hooked up to the sink was not as good. Like it got too much air in it.

I also agree with not doing too much gravel vaccuming durring the cycle.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Thanks Matt
thats a good idea.
and im glad you mentioned the Python verses generic ones. the generic are cheaper but obviously for a reason.
thanks again.
and i should have also mentioned that during cycling you dont want to vacuum to much. LOL
later

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I couldn't have as many fish tanks as I do without the Python. It makes water changes soooo much faster and easier.

I like the Python because the company sells replacement parts. I use mine every week on 10 to 16 tanks (depending on how many I have set up), and the plastic parts do sometimes wear or break. Then again, that's over the course of about 6 years of use on all those tanks every week. However, I'd rather spend $5 on a new part than have to buy a whole new unit.

Just wanted to let everyone know I broke down and purchased the Python. I LOVE IT!!! and it was on sale. For someone like me with a not-so good back, this is wonderful. No more lifting heavy buckets or at times, I would fill up the bucket half way so it would not be so heavy. That took way too long. This is great for the 55g tank I have. Only negative thing I have to say about the Python cleaner, it seems to waist a lot of water. But my back don't care.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
If you remove the part that attaches to your faucet, you can then drain the water perhaps out the door or a window. Plant's love old aquarium water.
Then when your ready to fill the tank, simply re-attach the part that hooks to the faucet and you are only using water to fill the tank.*thumbsup2