Gravel Question and Tank Seeding Question

Apr 2, 2005
Hey, Im currently cycling my tank, but after i put the water and the brand gravel into the tank, if forgot something, TO SOAK THE GRAVEL!!! Im not sure what this will do, and i hope it won't completely screw up the tank. Could someone help me with this!
Also, I've heard of seeding a tank but i'am not sure how to do it, the one thing I did do though was take a sponge soak it in my old tanks water and squeeze it into the new tanks filter.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well the gravel shouldnt be too much of a problem, maybe just cloudy water but that can be rosolved with w/c's. As for seeding putting old tank water wont do much becasue the bacteria isnt in the water as much as the grvael and filter. If you take your old filer from the establishd tank and put it in the new tank it would be a good seasoning. Also you could try putting some gravel in the new tank from the old tnak if it matches.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Bacteria grows exponentially, so a small amount will jump start the growth process and save you a LOT of time. I would say that one or two cups on the toe of a single leg of a pair of pantyhose should suffice, as long as it is laying in the gravel in your new tank. You need contact between the old gravel and the new gravel for the bacteria to spread effectively.

jewel

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Ontario
Pantyhose are also good for cleaning. I took my small fish net and replaced the net part with the toe of pantyhose about twice the length of the net so when I do my water changes I use it to catch alot of the "Floaties" that the gravel vac misses.