Gravel to Sand?

I currently have gravel on the bottom of my 20 gallon freshwater tank, and I was wondering if it would be okay if I switched to sand, cause I like the look much better. I do have live plants in my tank, so would it hurt them if I switched. All of the fish I have are in my signature, incase you are wondering. Thanks to anyone who answers this question.

Cheers!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
The sand is fine I think as long as you're not using the above mentioned underground filter just you need to make sure not to change your substrate when you have new media in your filter. You want it old and chalk full of bacteria so that it will keep your tank cycled.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I use pool filter sand in my 14g planted tank. Less than $5...just add some fert tabs and your all set. I've had several different types of plants in mine for about six weeks and they are doing great.

It gets a little messy compared to gravel so you have to be careful when you do your pwc so you don't stir it up too bad. I put down a light covering of gravel over mine to try to help with that.

My kuhli loaches absolutely love the sand; you can watch the dig around or just play in the sand.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I've never used cichlid sand but would imagine it would alter the water chemistry. As for the pool filter sand I doubt you'll find any at the LFS but if you do I imagine they will charge much more than a pool supply place. I picked mine up at Home Depot. You might try Lowes (just don't get the Pool Filter Plus, or whatever it's called).

Another option that some people use is play sand. It's a little lighter in weight than PFS, though.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
How did you prep it? Did you have to rinse it all? I was thinking about switching to sand when I get my new tank too.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
How did you prep it? Did you have to rinse it all? I was thinking about switching to sand when I get my new tank too.
I'm lazy, so I did it the easy way. The sand appeared to be pretty "clean" so I just dumped it into the tank and added water. I allowed time for the dust to settle and that was it.

Read this article: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/sand.php

It explains a lot regarding a few things I forgot to mention, like toxic gasses.