Gravel vacuuming planted aquarium

Mar 23, 2009
I've finally gotten myself into the habit of regular water changes for my 10 gal. starter plant tank. Eventually I'd like to get more plant coverage, especially some ground cover plants.

But how can I vacuum the gravel and suck up fish waste and decaying plant matter without disturbing the established plants and their roots? Can plants use fish waste as fertilizer in any way, shape, or form?

Thanks!

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Air stones will create more gas air exchange so if you are adding CO2 it will release the needed CO2 into the air. If your not using CO2 then I'm not sure if its needed but probably not, I don't have one on any of my tanks. For gravel vacing... Just do your best The plants do use some of the nitrogen in the fish waste but unless the tank is heavily planted the waste will still build up and you need to vacuum.

Feb 27, 2009
Also, would you recommend that I aerate my planted tank (with standard air pump, water stone, etc.)?
The water turbulence caused by an air stone or a HOB water-fall type of filter will cause the CO2 you have (either by you adding it or by the fish respiring or the plants respiring during the dark hours) to be dissipated. If your plants are growing well, you should see pearling on the leaves (tiny oxygen bubbles). If you do, this means that the tank's water is saturated with oxygen and cannot hold anymore. This is far more oxygen than an air stone or filter that agitates the surface tension will provide.

The least expensive way to filter a planted tank is to use a sponge filter with a submersible powerhead.;)