Gravel...

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Is there any way I could get gravel from like Home Depot? It is sooo expensive in my lfs. Also, how many pounds do I need for a 10 gallon tank?

~Chaz

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Some people like pool filter sand/gravel that I believe you can get from a home improvement store. BUT for a 10G you really dont need much...how many pounds really depends on what you're getting and how much gravel you want. Generally just enough to cover the bottom of the tank is plenty.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
hmm well I know one of the like bigger size bags did the whole bottom of my 46 just fine...so I'd just get a smallish bag from the pet store. Really just take a look at the size of the bag and picture the size of the tank and imagine an inch or so in the bottom of it. Its more about amount than weight and its totally a personal preference...you dont even NEED gravel in the bottom of a tank...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Darker is usually better...it gives the tank a more subdued look and helps the fish feel more secure. I would have said that being more secure means they'll be calmer...but I would never use the words "danio" and "calm" in the same sentence ;) They're great fish and a very good beginner fish too...I love em!