great deal on a 55gal...but im a newbie..should i?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
okay here's the deal...

Im very much a newbie to fish, i have a few fish bowls and thats it. I've spent the past few weeks doing a lot of research on cycling the tank, various types of fish and assorted details. I was planning on buying a 20 gallon in the next week or so. Before I went to the LFS and purchased one i decided to look in the classifieds. I figure, i live in a college town, its summer time, there's prolly lots of people trying to get rid of things. well i didnt find the 20 gallon i was looking for but i did find the following deal....

"55 Gallon Aquarium with everything that you need and extras (except for fish and water). Included is a 55 gal aquarium, wood stand, wood canopy, light, filters (undergravel and on the back), heaters, chemicals, food, decorations and more. Asking $250."

I have room in the apartment for it. And while i realize it will probably be a lot of maintanence...i think id be up for it. Obviously i wouldnt stock the thing full all at once but gradually. So what do all of you guys think, should i go for it or is this way too much for a newbie to handle?

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Its always best to get the biggest tank you can afford/maintain. A bigger tank is actually easier to maintain than a smaller one.

250 isnt a bad price, but i have seen a lot of similar deals with much better prices. also when buying a used tank, you want to make sure there aren't any leaks, cracks, or severe scratches as well.

You said you live in a college town in pa, where is that, i live in pittsburgh

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
For me,it is ok to start with 55gallon tank.Actually big tanks are way much easier to maintain.Small tanks always hav some prob like temp sudden changes and ammonia spike.By da way if u buy big tanks u wont regret in da future.........like i do........hehez.Once u start,u will neva stop,dats wat most of da ppl in dis forum get...hehe

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Totally up to you...but as people have said, you can probably find even a better deal if you keep your eyes on craigslist.com and the classifieds.

I wouldn't pay more than probably $100 for a 55 in good condition that comes with a stand and maybe hoods/lights. Usually I like to get my own heater/filter because I have tried a few different kinds and am particular about which ones I like now. I think a 55 with a UGF and a HOB filter would work...but I'd much prefer just having a canister filter on it. SO I look for the lower prices knowing already what I'm going to be paying for a new filter/heater etc.

As for the size being too much for a beginner? no way! :) You'll love having a bigger tank, so if thats the only thing holding you back dont worry. That being said, make sure there isn't a nice 46g bowfront that someone wants to get rid of with a matching stand for a couple hundred. Gorgeous tanks and sometimes a better dimension than the 55 even though its less water its a great size tank because its deeper from front to back instead of long and skinny.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
$250 is actually high for some used aquarium stuff. If you think you have the cash then go for it or you could try to bargain. The main thing is that, you feel satisfied with the purchase. If you can wait for a better deal. Then wait.