greedy fish???

lil_shez

Medium Fish
Jul 3, 2005
Australia
i have a variety of fish in my tank and the bottom dwellers dont tend to get much of the food because the neons tetras all come to the top straight away and go crazy. (some of the neons also look a little fat)

Is this a problem or will the bottom dwellers find all the food that has fallen to the bottom?

Last edited:

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
if your bottom dwellers are corys or something along those lines, you probably just aren't seeing them eat.

corys are nocturnal and usually wont bother eating until the lights are out. they typically do fine regardless, eating the scraps that fall to the floor.

I stopped using the algae tablets years ago since eveyone except the cory's were eating them!

Jun 28, 2005
lil_shez said:
still dont know what to do the neons are getting fatter and fatter ... i dont know what to do
any help out there??
I have the same problem, but in my case only one of my tetras has a big belly. I thought it would eat flakes like my other tetras but it hogs the algae wafers that I put in for my corys. Now I have quit putting in the wafer, bcoz my greedy tetra's belly was stretched out & I thought it will pop!!! :eek:

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
if the tetras are fat then I would feed less actually, and add a few flakes at lights out time for the bottom guys.

To be honest, I think your corys are getting enough food. I would not worry too much about them. I would worry more about overfeeding to try to compensate for the corys and that can cause a whole slew of other problems. Most healthy freshwater fish are not going to starve to death, unless they choose not to eat because they are sick.

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
turkey baster.
I have mostly bottom feeders, and adf's. I feed them various sorts of worms etc. the freeze dried tubifex worms float, so to help them I baster it down to the fish. I keep shot glasses around, put the amount of food I want to use, then ration out the food to different bottom areas. VERY easy, since I have to soak frozen and freeze dried for a minute or two anyway.

Other wise they get sinking pellets, but all the fish eat those as well.h