Green Algae

bios

New Fish
Jun 23, 2006
Hello all,

I am experiencing a bunch of green looking algae on my LR. It feels like moss. It comes off of the live rock very easily. It comes off in chunks. Has anyone had this issue?

My water went to hell during Dec. because I was working too many hours and couldn't keep up with the tank. I noticed that my skimmer was not working and the water started to darked a bit. I started to do water changes eveyweek but the algae still grew like crazy. I have the skimmer back running and cut back the lighting from my Aqualight.

Would it be dumb to brush the rock off in a bucket to rid the rock of the algae? Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you.

bios

New Fish
Jun 23, 2006
It doesn't. Still the best way to describe it would be the feel of moss. I will try to get a picture and post it. Thanks for you help.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
I don't believe it would be problematic to brush the rocks off lightly in a bucket...but ultimately, that probably won't solve the problem, you need to find the source of the algae's nutrients.

But, all hope is not lost...if your test kits are showing 0s and you never had algae problems before you might get lucky and the removal of the algae will take all the nitrates/nitrites/ammonia with it.