green algea

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
a description of "quite a lot" would be helpful, as would a description of what type, but in a tank which is stable and mature you should see virtually no algae on your live rock or sandbed because of your cleanup crew. a fine dusting of green on the glass is about all you should expect to get and that will be easily removed with a magnet cleaner

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i think one turbo, 5 nassarius, and 10 other smaller snails (margarita, trocheus, cerith, etc) will be good as far as snails go. these will help keep the sandbed clean and the glass walls/LR clean of diatoms and softer coating type algaes

i think an emerald crab would make a good addition to your tank as well as 10 or so smaller hermits (scarlet reef, dwarf blue, dwarf red, or left handed). this should handle any vallonia (bubble algae), hair algae, and denser tufty type stuff that pops up

they will also all take care of uneaten food

make sureyour nitrites and ammonia are zero and your nitrates are low before introducing

Mar 14, 2005
ok, i have one peice of awesomly shaped rock, was a 12 pound rock, its like cmpletely covered, abd i bought this snail who has an alga afro, and i think it may came from it, ima clean it up today,

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, even if the snail brought the algae in (which i think is what you are saying) it wouldn't have spread to cover the entire rock unless there was a source of nutrients present (the culprit is usually nitrates or phosphates)

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
umm, if one of you snails doent move for like 24 hours it is prob dead huh. how can you tell? I think one ofd mine died( all the rest move all over and clean? I poped the little guy of the glass and it just sunk to the bottem(still didn't move??

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
today i bought 30 nassarius snails. 10 for my new refugium, and 20 for my 80 display tank. When i changed out the crushed coral to sand, i also used g.a.r.f grunge. So now i have alot of dirt looking stuff on top of the sand(detrius?). I have like 3 or 4 turbos and a grip of crabs and other snails but the guy at the LFS said i need like 1 nassarius/gallon is this true? could i ever have to many? What else is good to airate the sand bed?