Green Button Polyp Problem....again

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
hey i have a rock that has about ten green button polyps on it althought half of them are nto green but tanish...do they develop the green color with age? also how long will it take them to reproduce

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
They don't look the same under different lighting. I have 5 colonies of green button polyps and some are more brown than others. Young ones are more green. Thicker ones are brownish on the edge. All my colonies are spread in my tank, under different conditions. Don't panic for now, those are hardy and they spread so fast.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's not bad, but could be worse. These things always look better under actinic lighting (note the word look, not grow)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
depends on how high up it is, what kind of flow, water quality, etc...its really a tough thing to predict. in my experience assuming it is medium height and good water quality you might see a new polyp in a week or so...the more you have the more quickly they spread

Sep 15, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
Wayne, you said they will look better under actinic blue but not grown better. Why is that. I thought and have observed much better results both looks and growth with actinic blue. My roommate and I have both got some grren buttons and mine are look so much more healthy and seem to be growing faster than his. The only difference in our tanks is that i have an actinic blue and he doesn't.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Just curious has anyone tried trading some of their extra polps in to a LFS for cash or credit? If so what did you get for them? I also have a bunch of the greenish/brownish zoa. polyps.