Green fern algae

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I have some funny algae that only seems to grow on the glass of my tank. It almost seems like animal life in how it grows... it starts from a tiny white speck, shoots out one little green hair, which then biforcates... the hair becomes fern-like, and then it erupts in a patch of light, almost pretty green, like a house fern, still originating from the base speck.

I tried taking a picture but it wouldn't come up.

I couldn't find it listed here: http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_algae.htm

And I don't see it at any of my LFS's.

It comes away easy enough with an algae scrubber. Cereth and astrea Snails won't touch it.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
sounds like hair algae to me...ive had the short kind before (never got over 1/2" long)...welcome to the wonderful world of marine aquariums where all this stuff is hard to ID

your best bet for getting rid of it is probably crabs or a fish which eats algae...but, depending on how old your tank is it may also go away on its own

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Bryopsis, a real p,i,t,a,. You'll find not too much eats it. Manual removal, plus better nutrient management to get it under control, and make sure your SG and Kh are up nice and high

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Bryopsis, that's definitely what it is. I looked up some pics. http://www.ne.jp/asahi/marine/algae/Bryopsis.html Damn.

At least so far it's only on the glass and not out of control and is easy to scrape away.

My nitrates are still less than 5. I'm using R/O water so that would make sense if I have a low KH. I'll check today.

Just getting my vocab straight... KH is kH, hardness reader, like freshwater. Already got the test kit if that's the case.

A water change shouldn't hurt, and what's some good nutrient additives to boost up the kH? Eventually I want to keep mushrooms, zoos, and maybe green star polyps, but if my dissolved nutrients are low, I bet that could pose a problem or two...

Edit: Actually, looking through more pics, who knows what this stuff is... but whatever it is, the junk i scrubbed away off the front pane has not multiplied anywhere else in the tank. I'll try a good scrubbing all around and see if that helps.

Last edited: