Green Spot Algae

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
GSA isn't generally caused by under-filtering. You'd still have to scrape it off.

A lack of phosphates (especially when there are nitrates in higher numbers) tends to lead to GSA.

An old credit card (or gift card, etc.) is great for getting GSA off of glass.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I'm running cherry shrimp in there, so I'm not sure if it is okay to dose phosphates. I hear they are sensitive to chemicals.

I wish I knew about the gift card. I already have a KENT Pro-scraper short. It's not bad, but it's not so good either.

Would Otos eat GSA?

Cas

Medium Fish
Jan 10, 2007
Our local fish shop mentioned that leaving the light off for periods when it isnt needed like during the day reduces alage. Is this true?

Cas :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you don't have real plants, there's no need to leave the light on all day. If you do have live plants, there's no evidence that a "siesta" will help with algae. A blackout of a planted tank is really a last resort if you haven't been able to fix algae by balancing your light, CO2 and fertilization.

Oct 15, 2006
Is green spot algae stuff that looks like algae "freckles"? Because I have it ALL OVER. The snails eat only part of it, they eat the middle of the "freckle" and leave the circles.