Green Star Polyps

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/saltwater-general-discussion/48408-help-me-my-new-29-a.html

I'll try to get an updated picture tonight or this weekend, but nothing huge has changed. I moved the two rocks with caluerpa into my 20 and brought some of the rock from the 20 into this tank, added some substrate, changed out the powerheads, added a heater, juiced the aiptasia, did some water changes and fw top offs (its been SO dry here lately)...think thats about it. The only 'stock' that is in there is that little starfish guy and a snail (haven't seen either of them lately but I'm sure they're in there). My plan is still to eventually find or build a sump that will fit under my stand so that I can get the equipment out of the tank and expand a little bit...but that hasn't happened yet. I might pick up some more live rock...there is about 25 lbs in there right now, what do you think? Another 5 or 10 lbs? If I do that then yes, I will not get anything for the tank until it cycles those pieces too.

I still haven't decided on what I want as far as stock goes, but I decided that I want GSP. I don't want any other corals, those are fine. So please tell me anything you know about them/it.

Could I keep green star polyps in my 29? With the lights I have?

Someone mentioned that my lil astarina star will eat zoos...if those lil stars eat zoas will they eat GSP?

Are any of the mainstream fish or inverts known for eating GSP?

Edit: I've also never had corals of any kind...do I want to add them before or after I've added some kind of stock? Or while the tank is cycling? Or ?? when in the process of setup should I do it?

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
how bout some pics? :D gsp is a great starter coral since it grows and spreads pretty easily...not sure what lights you have...i dont belive the asterinas will bother the gsp but i usualy take them out when i see um anyways (better safe than sry)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Only pics I have right now I put in that other thread that I linked at the top...but I will try to get some posted of how it looks now. The amount of rock is roughly the same as in these pics because I traded for about the same amount when I traded with my 20g rock.

My lights are : Current, Dual Satellite 30" 2 x 65w w 1 LED, 2 Fans One of the bulbs is ...I can't spell it, the purple kind. lol and the other is normal.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
adding LR is always a good idea :) and not adding corals/inverts/fishies while cycling either.

GSP aren't the most easy coral to keep...yeah they spread a lot, yeah a lot people have some but they can be tricky...got 2 results usually...spread like crazy or dissappear..
if it's your first coral, you may wanna try something else since your tank is new. Dunno about your lights, but they need quite some light, they thrive under MH lamps. If your lighting is inadequate, they can change color, like pale silver. Also they adore indirect flow and hate phosphates. If you got any hair algaes or encrusting one, they might close forever (altough they can close for weeks then re-open). They don't bother other corals IMO, that's good. You must have stable Calcium/Magnesium/Strontium readings to get 'em spread quickly.
I would recommend some green mushrooms ( not the red ! ) to begin...they don't need high lighting but can handle strong ones, can handle different flow, aren't shy with algaes, can be fragged easily so mistakes can be done without losing all specimens.
my Coral Beauty now likes to snap my GSP ..they duck, close, but none have been killed. Duno 'bout other fishies/inverts bothering GSP.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
here is gsp out of control......

I am busy trying to attach a small frag to the back glass to see if it will take there and spread

It has been growing like mad in my 75 and has smothered some monti...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think GSP is pretty hardy. There are two forms, one is actually a type of gorgonian, and isn't quite as invasive. It has a pale, whitish colored base. The usual kind (more related to zoanthids) has a purple mat.

Both would probably work with your lighting.

I think if you want it to be all over your tank, it's fine. A lot of people find it invasive towards their tanks, taking up room they want for other corals.

A mushroom tank could be nice, too. There are lots of colors to choose from, and a lot of them are very easy to care for.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah, I'd most definitely rather just have GSP and not really interested in keeping other kinds in there...so I dont mind if it spreads. Might try mushrooms in my 20...we'll see.

yes, Kahluazzz I know that I can't add anything else if its cycling. If I decided to add more LR any stocking plans would be put on hold...but I was more asking for when in the timeline you should introduce a coral to the tank. Should it be the first thing or after cleanup crew is established or after you're fully stocked with fish etc and established...

Spaced taking pictures this weekend but will try for tonight.

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
i have the same dual satalite. so far i have a kenya tree and some zooanthids in my tank and they are doing fine. our lighting is good enough for GSP as i plan on buying a small frag soon but like kaluazzz said they just might not show there 'true' colors i guess you would say.