Green Tank

schrophi

Small Fish
Apr 19, 2005
Tampa
Hi,
I bought a 30 gallon saltwater tank about a half year ago. We never had any big fish, usually clownfishs and other tropical fish that size. I have to say i was a little lazy in terms of changing the water but we never had a bog algae problem (that we could not fix). We were not familiar with saltwater tanks, since we only had and still have goldfish. But we thought that corals will look very cool. So around new year we bought some liferock and later a coral. Everything went fine. Then we thought that an anemone would look even better and we bought a small one. That was about 2 month ago. One month later our tank turned totaly green over night. I dont think it had anything to do with the anemone but I am not an expert. Right away we took a sample of our water to the fish store and they tested it and said everything is alright and that it might be the food (flakes) that would cause the problem. So we changed the food and also got extra carbon for the filter. Afterwards i made a couple water changes but it did not help at all. We put a little to much carbon in the sack and 2 weeks later our tank overfloat. We had to emty it out in order to move it for the carpet guy. Which at first turned out to be really convenient since we can put new good looking water in the tank. But we had to put all 5 fish + anemone + liferock & coral in an old 10gallon tank. It turned out that all the fish and the anemone died within 2 days (we couldnt put them in earlier because we thought there might be a crack or something in the tank so we tested it while we were at school/work). But the snails and crabs (not the peppermint shrimp:( ) did fine and so did the coral and the liferock. We put them back into the tank and everything went well. But when we put them in we needed something on the ground so we used the sand we had from when we first set up the tank. It said that the sand will expire march 15 and it was april 1st. We did not know how sand can expire so we just put it in. But just today it turned out to be green again. It was cycling good before and we washed the tank before we filled it. we used all new water and no food since all the fish were dead anyway.
My question now:
what is causing this green mist (or whatever it is) ?
Should I buy new fish and do it all again? If yes what would you give me as an advise in order to do better this time?
And is there anything to prevent a tank from overfloating?

Thank you

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
wow your in for a world of crap i am not sure about the sand expiring, but if there is no livestock I would just break it all down, clean everything up and start over, just my opinion and you can get a leak device called a screamer or and automatic shutoff for all electrical devices when the water reaches a certain level

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
describe this algae problem in more detail...is it the water which is green or the glass? what kind of filtration are you using for your water for waterchanges and top off? what sort of lighting? is it near a window?

the sand (i imagine) was that bagged live sand stuff so maybe the stuff that was supposed to be alive in it died but that shouldn't have caused your water to go green...thats a single celled algae bloom...usually caused by a combination of nutrients and light.

schrophi

Small Fish
Apr 19, 2005
Tampa
it is the water that is green, i dont think we have algae because i just got snails 2 weeks before it turned green. and they did a pretty good job. the water was so green i couldnt even see the back of the tank (it is not as bad now but it could turn out that way..).
I have a light on top of the tank, a blue and a white one. I usually keep my window closed so there is now extra light (but it is close to the window)other than the ones in my room. Well the only extra filter i m using is the extra carbon sack. other than that i only use the eclipse filter system.

Yeah the guy at the fish store said that it is caused by the food, but we changed that and nothing happend and now since i have everything completly new i did not use any food because all my fish died. But the green water came back... :(

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My honest opinion that you may as well get a good book like Palettas New Marine Aquarium or John Tullochs natural reef that will explain what's going on in simple terms, and then get ready to break down the tank and reuse what is possible.

Have you read the sticky on how I built a 30 last year . That has most things covered at a light level.

I would not lose my mind trying to fix green water in your current setup. From everything you describe it seems it would be very hard work for you. I see no mention of a skimmer for example.

I would no longer trust an lfs, especially if they repeatedly sold you inadequate livestock without asking about your setup (the coral and the anemonae.)

schrophi

Small Fish
Apr 19, 2005
Tampa
well after it overfloat i didnt put anything in it but it still turned green for some reason, could it be the liferock?
what is a skimmer (propably sounds stupid, but i m new to the saltwater tanks) ?
Why do the anemone and coral dont get along very well?

Should i still go on with sand? Or is there anything else?

What should i get to have a neat tank other than the skimmer (also corals, fish...whatever you suggest for a retry)?

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
Get livestock outta yer head for now. Mos def get a skimmer(read the skimmer sticky on this site). Honestly like wayne said if yer LFS is sending you home with stuff yer not ready for you shopuldn't trust them. Anemones and corals need perfect water conditions and special lighting its not that they dont get along well they need perfect husbandry. Iwould keep your liverock, get new substrate sand/crushed coral(yer choice), empty all the bad water scrub the tank make new water readd LR and substrate, GET A BOOK!! While yer newly setup tank is cycling(for at least a month) you can read that book. Then you will be prepared to add more livestock and make it neat and proper. Patience is key.If at first you dont succeed try try again. Also get a water test kit you'll want to be able to monitor yer parameters constantly instead of taking a sample to the fish store........good luck

schrophi

Small Fish
Apr 19, 2005
Tampa
Thx,
so i need to get a skimmer and a testing kit. right? Do you prefer crushed coral or sand, (i dont think the san looks very neat..)

What should i get rid of? Only the sand?

About the conditions, i got special lights for the liverock and coral. I had the tank with fish for about 3month then i got liverock and 1.5 month later i got the coral... i actually had good conditions.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you need to figure out what is causing this problem before you get anything at all...like wayne said, a skimmer won't fix it at this point and neither will sand...i would start with the basic test kits, get your water squared away, and then go from there