Green vs. black net

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
So is the black net really better then green? I just wondered if I fell into a marketing gimmick or if in fact the black is nicer.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean exactly- a net just for catching fish? I have always used the green ones- the black one may be better, but I don't have any experience withthose so I don't know for sure, I would guess though that they're all about the same. Some fish (notably catfish) can get their fins tangled in nets pretty easily, I find with them it's better to use something like a jar to catch them (I used a small colander once in a pinch, that worked). Are the black ones marketed as something that's better for the fish? The size of the mesh is the only signifigant variable with the net that I can think of- so to stop rambling and answer yoru question- you may have paid too much but that doesn't mean your net was a bad thing to buy. Don't let the store guilt you into buying anything you don't want, they're just sales reps, not experts. It sounds like you want to do what's best for your fish and that's great- unfortunately some businesses find newcomer's enthusiasm as an opportunity to cash in, so be careful.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Yea I realize they are trying to suck me in LoL but I wanted a net with a longer handle and it was a black net and they said an added bonus was that it was black and suppose to be better *shrug*

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yeah, you'd think with everything else that's being invented, a clear fish net would actually do well.

I had to get a black net for my tank, because the little green ones don't come with a long enough handle. It looks like the black net is deeper, too. Maybe it is made out of a different material, so that it doesn't rub off as much of the slime coat of the fish, or just so it's gentler?

nikon70

Medium Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Visit site
Black .... Green... Clear....

I have a Blue one not that it makes a blind bit of difference, but tbh the fish can see it coming a mile away! i tried to get my pictus cats the otherday with a net - what a nightmare! ended up catching them with a huge bowl!

Any net will do as long as it is the right size and kept clean with melafix :) you will be fine. :D

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Lubbinloaches said:
When are they going to come out with a clear net so that fish can't see them at all?? *crazysmil Would make my life much easier....especially in a planted tank. Catching smart fish in a densly planted tank is a nightmare!!
I have the best luck catching fish in a densely planted tank with a net and a clear plastic bag. I use the net to scare them into the bag which they never see until it's too late. Kind of ironic that the net is used to scare them, but it works better than anything else I've tried. Just make sure you get as many of the air bubbles out of the clear plastic bas as possible.

my understanding is that the black mesh nets are a smaller weave...thus making harder for parts of the fish to poke thru, and less chance of them getting stuck in the net*...so its 'easier on thier slime coat'...i have no idea if this is bullsh*t or not, but it was just what i found when reading up on nets. :D

*with Pictus it doesn't matter WHAT kind of net you have, they'll get stuck.

LoachDude

Medium Fish
Apr 11, 2005
USA
crouchingjaguar.clicdev.com
twoluvcats said:
my understanding is that the black mesh nets are a smaller weave...thus making harder for parts of the fish to poke thru, and less chance of them getting stuck in the net*...so its 'easier on thier slime coat'...i have no idea if this is bullsh*t or not, but it was just what i found when reading up on nets. :D

*with Pictus it doesn't matter WHAT kind of net you have, they'll get stuck.

That's possible, I haven't picked up a black net and a green one and stared at the mesh lately ;)