Green water again!

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
this time it is in the ten gallon:mad: , first i got a little cyano, this died within 2 days, then i started to get green water, did 2 50 percent water changes in 2 days. this stuff wont die, i understand it is common to have algae bloom in a new tank, but when should it die? should i starve it of light? and when i turn the lights on in the mornig, ammonia is at about .25-.10 when i test in the after noon there is nothing! why is this?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
thanks for the black out advise! does anyone know what the ammonia reading problem means? i went to go test it and it is at .25 after the 50% water change i did this morning. could the ammonia be up because some of the rock was exposed to air during the water change?

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
the only thing that will spike ammonia is decay. Your rock couldn't have been exposed long enough to create that type of spike during a water change. Has something else died in your tank, possibly in your sand or rock? How long has this tank been set up?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
nope just 5 hermits as a clean up crew. the tank had now ammonia in it, no nitrate or nitrite in it until 2 days ago. all traces went away last wednesday ive sucked a bunch of mulm of the sand in todays water change. do i need to wait a while to test after i turn the lights on?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Cycling usually takes about a few weeks to a month for the main part of a cycle to take place...so I would not add anything else to the tank for the next little while.

I don't believe it should matter what time of day you test ammonia...I know Ph usually drops when the lights go out but never heard of that with ammoinia.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
ill test tommorow morning right when i turn the lights on. could the encrusting part of some star polyps cause the problem? ive had it in there since last friday. it had some polyps on it that have never opened even in my mantis tank.

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
green water in a SW? never seen that. saw it in FW occassionally, and used a micron filter to clean it up. the micron filter in the magnum H.O.T. makes a great water clear-er, $35 and easy use. like it as a quick excess food vac too. a free-form algae bloom (green water) is pretty interesting though, there would have be a ton of nitrogen in the water to support it. is it possible that you had something in your LR die, like a sponge or something, did the water stink?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i would rather do it right then hurt an animal just because i have a short attention span and couldnt wait. should i just ley it run it cycle then and not do any more water changes?

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I would just leave it sit for the next week as you just did 2 x 50% changes. Next week do a 25% water change and so on...

Oh and if I remember correctly from your thread in the Nano section you added some zoanthids...take them out a.s.a.p.

and like I said you can run some carbon in there for a few days as well.

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
SALTY WATERS said:
Oh he definitely has stuff dieing in there...that is why I suggested he wait a few more weeks; his tank is still cycling!
very true, but was thinking if it was something a little more caustic than just a coralline algae die-off. something that ejected (like when an anemone dies) toxins that may have triggered a bigger die-off in the LR would explain the spike in ammonia and a bloom of the magnitude necessary to cause the green water. good luck with all that, i hope the ramifications are mild for you!