Green Water, Yay!

Feb 19, 2008
a 10g tank at work has had green water for quite some time now, 3 weeks or so. They've been doing water changes, I say 10% every day or every other day, but it's still the same. Now, this tank, unlike theo ther tanks at work, is using an incandescent lighting fixture. Could that be the major part of the problem? If I add live plants now, will the competing algae not let the plants live?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
What are your water perameters? How long are you leaving the lights on? And how long has this tank been up and running. Huge algae blooms are reall common in new tanks while cycling.

I would be trading out up to 25% water changes every day and if you have any nitrites or ammonia I would up that to 50%.

Feb 19, 2008
Okay, I just did a water test. Ammonia is at .50ppm, nitrites and nitrates are at 0ppm, and pH is at 6.0. I'm going to try to boost the pH a little higher and turn the lights off for more time, it's currently at 8 hours a day. I have no live plants in the tank.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
How long have you had this tank up and running? If it's a very new tank then I would suggest you're begining to cycle. A mature tank shouldn't have any ammonia in it unless something is seriously wrong.

I wouldn't worry about the PH so much as do a large (50%) water change and then let it settle for about 2 hours. Test again for ammonia then and again first thing thing tomorrow morning. If there's any present at either test, repeat.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
your ammnia is the problem I believe. That is usually the cause for green water. Lower the photoperiod and do w/c to get rid of the ammonia and keep it gone.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If it's only been running for 3 weeks it's not cycled at all. The cycling process with fish in takes 7 to 10 weeks. :(

Ishar's right lots and lots of water changes. "Dilution of the pollution is the solution" I believe is the advice given to DG and it's good

Feb 19, 2008
I'll try to keep on top of them about that and hope it works. That is what I was leaning towards. I'm working on replacing their sponge filter with a sponge from an established tank to help it along.