green water

platy guy

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Capreol Ontario Canada
well, my water has been green (probably algea) for a few days now. I bought a liquid called P Clear, and it made the water crystal clear. But, as soon as I stopped using it, the water became very green again. I don't want to use the P Clear everyday, because I don't think it would be good for my tank. So does anyone have any other suggestions? My tank isn't near a window or heat source, i don't keep the light on for too long, I do regular water changes, I clean my filter when it gets dirty inside, I don't overfeed, and the temperature isn't too high. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
If your phosphates are high in your city water (and therefore your tank) the algae will continue to feed on it and every water change will just add more nutrients for the algae to feed. I would either buy a test kit (if you don't already have one) or check with your city water department. They should be able to give you a water analysis. If that is the cause, there are several phosphate removal products you can buy to lower you levels. I had a terrible green water problem and was on the verge of completely giving up. I did two things and have not had an issue since: I drained my tanks and filled them with water run through an Aquarium Pharm. Tap Water Filter ( API Tap Water Purifier - Water Quality > Additives > FRESH WATER CONDITIONERS > AQUARIUM PHARMACEUTICALS - Aquatic-Superstore - Quality Products at Watered Down Prices) and I always have an Algone pad in my filter (Algone.com - Aquarium Algae Control and Water Clarifier). These changes worked for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
What sort of filter do you have ? running activated carbon in it can help. other thank that (i got it too !) regular water changes and checking water params.. not sure. im just leaving mine and it seems to be soring itself out a bit.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i wouldn't keep using chemicals in your tank. you need to figure out whats causing your problem. chemicals are just going to cover up the underlying cause.

can't a 3-day blackout with a large water change help a green water problem?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You mentioned Pclear in your original post, and while I recognize that it is a great tool if you need to use it...you should always try to fix whatever is causing the green water before using it or it'll just come back.

Generally blackouts with water changes (multiple large ones if necessary) like Seastaar mentioned, will clear it up once you've righted the problem.

In your case I would have asked for your nitrate level because it seems like your tank is probably pretty close to if not overstocked already.