green water

pigpen

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2009
alright guys new tank new problems.the 133 i have set up has wen crazy green.im not sure what details yall will want to know but i am running two aqua clear 70's hang on back style filter and 2 aqua clear 70 heaters.i have used larger rock found at a beach and boiled for substrate.i had to stock it early due to a major malfunction with my 45 g tank.not sure what happened but the amonia levels went dangerously high on me and i could not keep them down.25% waterchanges every day did nothing and it was getting worse.so i measured the water in the 133 and it was definatly better than the 45 so i plunked em in the big one for safetys sake.anyways long story short the water is murkey murkey GREEN.my signature lists my stocking and my water paramaters are as follows.PH 8 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0.3 Nitrate 10 the fish seem to be existing happily in the new tank enjoying the room to its fullest and generally seem happy it is just horrible unsightly.the tank has been set up and running at about 77 degrees for around 2 weeks.is there an easy fix for this or is it a major deal? any help is appreciated.up to and including destructive criticism.

pigpen

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2009
i have two glow T5 high output linear Fluorescent lighting systems.39 watts each.they are on for about two or 3 hours a day and there is a little bit of natural light hitting the tank throughout the day

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
I still think you're getting too much light in that tank. I don't know if you read my other post when you mentioned it while answering someone else's question (did that confuse you?! :) ). I wouldn't even turn on the lights for a week or so, and even then, that'll only slow the growth. I know there are products out there to stop and clean up algae growth, but I've never messed with them, so someone will have to suggest those.

If you are getting natural light on that tank daily, that is probably the answer. You can clean your tank and ornaments by wiping down the walls and then doing a WC, vacuuming the gravel to get some out (but don't go crazy spring cleaning so you don't remove too much good bacteria), and you can also take the onaments out of the tank and clean them in a 10:1 water/bleach solution. Just make sure you rinse the ornaments off thuroughly before replacing them. I don't know what else it could be...

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
During the summer months the light coming into my den changes. my 20g was getting tooooo much sun throughout the day, i have lots of windows. now i know to adjust the blinds in the summer months.
i had the same problem with green water , as soon as i took care of the blind adjustments all was good. i also had tank light on for way to long about 8 to 12 hours a day. now i leave on for about 6 to 8 hours. i keep this schedule during winter months to.
hope this helps

pigpen

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2009
i will try a complet blackout.ill cover the windows with garbage bags.ill cover the tank walls with garbage bags and try 25% or so water changes daily for a week and see what happens. thanks for the info