Green Water

IceDragon

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2010
I know you guys have probably answered this many times but i have extremely green water. I was readin on here to change the water so i was doin that and in fact i took out all the rock and everything. Still changin water. 80% at a time. I know its alot but one of the post on here said to do that. I guess know you want to know parameters.ph7.4 ammonia0, Nitrite0, Nitrate about60. I have 3 Yellow labs, 2 electric Blue/yellow chichlids, 4 Rusty, 4 Pcudeo Acei, 3 Chinesse Algea Eaters. It's A 46g Bow Front. I have a Cascade 1000 and a top fin 60 filter. And i have an air pump on there connected to an air stone. Now ur probably going to say my tank is over stocked but i stocked according to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor. Then if you scroll down check out the 55g mbuna set up. I adjusted the numbers and filters so i would get the same out of my 46g. My tank also does not get any direct sunlight. It does get the ambient light from room but not direct. I leave the light on now cuz leaving it off did nothing. I also tried the chemical which i know you guys don't like. But i am Desperate.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
i had this problem too. the best and easiest way to get rid of the green water is to 1> do a big water change to get rid of a lot of it. 2> wrap your tank in a blanket or towels or anything that will completely block out all light from getting to the tank. leave it blacked out for a few days only opening slightly to feed. my tank was completely cleared in 3 days and my water was so bad you couldn't see ANYTHING through it.

Apr 8, 2010
You probably did this already but just to make sure you changed your filters. Take a sample of water to a local pet store and have them
test your water or you can do it yourself. Use a cyphon for the water change and dig it into the rocks to make sure you free up all the junk out of there. And of course add water conditioner

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
You probably did this already but just to make sure you changed your filters. Take a sample of water to a local pet store and have them
test your water or you can do it yourself. Use a cyphon for the water change and dig it into the rocks to make sure you free up all the junk out of there. And of course add water conditioner
seriously, you should almost never change your tank filters until they are nearly falling apart. this kills off the beneficial bacteria in the tank.

thats a common terrible generic pet store employee answer.

the green stuff is algae. Algae is not removed by activated carbon. changing the filter will only make the water stay green longer because the good bacteria that would normally eat the food the algae is feeding on are located mainly in the filter.

follow little tank's instructions.

Apr 8, 2010
seriously, you should almost never change your tank filters until they are nearly falling apart. this kills off the beneficial bacteria in the tank.

the green stuff is algae. Algae is not removed by activated carbon. changing the filter will only make the water stay green longer because the good bacteria that would normally eat the food the algae is feeding on are located mainly in the filter.

you are right with that but ive changed filters like that before and its taken care of that problem for me

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
29 gallon:
4 mollys
iridescent shark
2 black sharks
2 bala sharks
Chinese hi-fin shark
albino rainbow shark
red tail shark
African cichlid
soon to come-pleco and columbian bull shark
Speaks for itself, I say listen to Doom and follow what Frankenfish (not littletank lol) said. Do water changes while doing the black out to take out the algae's spores.

Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc

It says to change filters every month for charcoal, every 2 months for ammonia and every 3 months for the sponge (you can get away with doubling that time for the beneficial bacteria, but you should change them semi frequently).

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
It says to change filters every month for charcoal, every 2 months for ammonia and every 3 months for the sponge (you can get away with doubling that time for the beneficial bacteria, but you should change them semi frequently).
and what company makes the filter cartridge...oh wait...the same company that makes the filter! The more times they tell you to change them, the more money the company makes.

I end up changing those filters annually most times.