GRRR Priming a Sump

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
OK this isn't really for a salt tank, but I figure you guys would know better than most. How the hell do I prime these freaking U tubes? I've read to put your thumbs over both ends and set it down in the skimmer/over flow. No dice, these tubes are 2 times the width of my thumbs! Trying to do the same thing with my hands just isn't cutting it either as my hand is to big to fit in either of the boxes.

So come on guys....gimme some tips before I toss this thing in the trash.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
do you have a ball valve that will enable you to fill the u tube (or atleast get the suction going, clamp the ball valve, reattach the rest of the tubing to the sump and away from the sump and then just let the water flow?

I hope what I just wrote made sense and that I am visualizing your problem correctly.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah I understand...hmmm no valves came with this sump but a bunch of odds and end pvc stuff did. (was given to me by a friend)

maybe that's what these caps are for.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
ball valves are a great addition to any sump line. It will help you prime but also allows for easy maintence or when ever the need to reduce or stop flow in or out of the sump is needed its very easyily done. I would just head over to home depot and pick 2 up (that fir with the first of the pvc pipe) and place one after the U in the intake line and one before the u in the output line.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I know what you're going through Pure. I've built two separate overflows that were a PITA to get primed. They involved sucking until I was blue in the face, many trips to Home Depot (one of which almost resulting in a collision), inhaling PVC cement fumes, and many mouthfuls of saltwater. In the end, both contraptions are sitting out in my garage. From now on, drilled tanks are the only way to go!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
:D:D:D:D!!!!

The wrap and band trick worked. Tho it's going to be a pita to have to do that every time I do a 50% water change on that tank. :eek:

Ball valves are going to be a must that is fo sho.

Mar 19, 2006
In theory once you have established the siphon you should never have to worry about reestablishing it. Even if you cut off your pump the siphon should stay.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Glad to hear that worked out for you.

The reason the siphon will be lost on a 50% change is because Pure's PVC will be above the water line at that point. There is no way to hold the siphon without water. :)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks man!

Right even tho the skimmer box will hold water, the nature of what the siphon is doing will empty it in not time, requiring me to re-establish it once the tank is refiled.

Thank you guys for the help.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
:p Wayne

If putting a sump on a new tank that would most definitely be the rout. This is an established 125gal full of water and fish. The sump was a gift from a friend and I thought it would be a good addition to such a large tank.

Well that and the fact that...well you know me the plec nut I am. This tank has quit a few species of plec in it, and the aeration caused by the sump would be a welcomed addition. I've already lost a few of them due to lack of O2 in that tank.

aresgod, They actually gave me 5 U tubes to choose from. I was wondering what the heck the airline hooked to a metal valve stuck in the top of one of them was. Thanks for clearing that up.

This has actually been a pretty good experience.