GSP no longer coming out

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
a little while back i posted about my GSP being over run by a blue sponge-algae thing, so scrapped it off like i was told with a toothbrush. For the most part it's all gone, the only stuff that's left is on the opposite side of the rock.

But now the star polyps are not coming out at all, they're used to be the occassional one that would sprout here and there, but now none of the are ever coming out...could it be the response to the toothbrush? i didn't scrub them hard, only enough to get the sponge off...could they already be dead, or is this just a reaction to the scrubbing. It's been around 5 or 6 days since i got the sponge off, if this is just a reaction how long might this take?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
From wetwebmedia : My green star polyps have all of a sudden stopped emerging from their mats.
<most often a lack of water flow... sometimes enough to allow a slight suffocating sheen of brown diatom algae or simply detritus. Briareum needs very strong random turbulent water flow>

Can you see if the purple map is colorful or pale ? Pale isn't good. i Have GSP and when i was gone for a day, a snail ( i suppose ) knocked down my GSP and they felt on the substrate, on the wrong side. Took only a day to kill like 3 of them. The mat was purple-white. They never opened since. If your can find a way to frag the rock, just to get few samples...you could separate them from the main colony and put it in really strong water. GSP can grow in large numbers.

The toothbrush is recommended by wetwebmedia. Also if you have hair algae this can mean trouble to your GSP

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the GSP is one of the easiest corals to frag...you don't actually break up the rock, instead you get an xacto knife/razor blade/etc inserted under the mat and peel. the mat will simply pull off the rock and then you can superglue it down to something else. but, I think returning the rock to its original location would be your best first step and wait a day or so to see what happens