Guidance With Starting A Tank

Mar 27, 2007
hey guys
I am a complete and utter newbie! never had a tank in my life! and i have purchased a Betta whiched i have dubbed crabs1 but the small tank is way to small! so i want to start a small tropical tank! I want to get a 50l tank, with gravel rocks and plants[fake or real, which is better]! i have only had my betta for a few days now, but i have come quite attached to him! so i want to make it as easy and effortly for him to adapt to his soon to be new home!

So what i need is the basics to make mu betta a good home! i am also thinking of getting some albino corydaras and maybe a plecostomus to keep him company! so how will i set about getting evating setup once i have my tank, heater, filter etc? I have heard of a process called cycling?? so if anyone can help me with a step by step, that would be awsome!
thank you very much!
Sheblom

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
check out the sticky in the freshwater beginner forum it will tell you all you need to do to get started and all about cycling your new tank.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Like fish chic said, the stickies at the top of the forum will help you with setting up and cycling. Real plants are good for the aquarium as long as they're alive... if they're dying then they're not so good. You can get some really hardy low light plants (like java fern) that don't require any real effort.

The betta and cory cats will make good tankmates. In general, plecos get too big for most tanks (sorry don't know the conversion from liters to gallons, but I suspect it would be too small for a common pleco). There are also smaller plecos that would be fine.

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Good luck and welcome to the fish world! You can check out the stickies at the top of the beginners forum, or check out my website (listed in signature) that goes through setting up a new tank and everything that you will need. Either way, your betta needs a cycled tank ASAP new tank or not, so make sure to get a hand on cycling and what it involves quickly if you want your betta to live. :)

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Also, remember that you will be going through multiple different phases as to what you want to do with your tank.

Buy the best equipment so you don't have to replace them. Be wise about your stocking list and introduce fish slowly.

Good luck and welcome to the tank!