guppies and mollies?

valeria87

Small Fish
Nov 15, 2009
arkansas
i had some female guppies but the males(1 in particular) mated with them constently and wouldn't leave them alone.well the females kept dying so when i took the female guppies back to petco for an exchange i told the guy there about what was going on and he said the males mated them to death...is this possible???
so now i give up on buying female guppies and i got 1 female molly and was planing on buying a male later but the male guppie (the 1 in particular that mates too much)lol keeps chasing the molly...it looks like hes trying to mate with her...is this my imagination or is this possible???
and my final question...when i got off work late last nite i fed my fish and well as soon as i put the food in there my peacock eel usually comes up to the top REAL FAST and last night he didn't he was missing so long story short i search the whole tank for an hour and later found him in the small filter(or pump) anyway i thought he was dead but he was still alieve and anyway i got him out and he was fine but i did notice that one of his eyes are like a blackish purple and can't see the pupil...it looks like hes blind in that one eye....what does this sound like to you and will he be ok? or will this go away?
thank you very much

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
If it was me, I would get rid of that one male who seems to be causing all the problems. I have four male guppies and five platies (two males and three females) in a 20gH together right now and they leave each other alone for the most part. They'll mingle, but that's about it.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona

valeria87

Small Fish
Nov 15, 2009
arkansas
well the molly has already had babies and i didn't even know she was pregnant..at the store there were only females in that tank.....and the female guppies were pregnant but died before they had a chance to give birth

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Yeah, most livebearers you get from the stores are already pregnant. That's probably why your males are harrassing her. Like misterking said, they will harrass a female who has just given birth to mate with them because the female will prioritize the new males sperm over the sperm she's stored from previous mates.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I cannot stand livebearers for their incessant mating. Mollies/guppies/platies/etc. that mate when they are younger will die after childbirth because their bodies stop growing and focus on the developing eggs. As livebearers can begin mating at the ages of 4 to 6 months, this happens very often. Also, like bass and mister said, they will harass each other to death. Yes, guppies and mollies can mate, although it doesn't happen very often. Livebearers can cross-mate with each other.