Guppies can't keep them alive.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I have a 10 gallon tank which I cycled fishless. I added 4 guppies after cycle was complete and a few days later one died. I check ammonia/nitrites etc all was good added 1 more to replace the one that died and she gave birth. One baby survived getting eaten and is doing well. There was an ammonia spike after that so I have been doing water changes about 20% every other day to every third day. No nitrItes show and barely any ammonia yet they are shimmering at the top of the tank. The temp is about 75 degrees.

I feel like a newbie all over again. I almost want to put them in my 55 gallon til it evens out but then that tank will be over stocked I think.

:eek:

Thanks

Kris

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Thanks everyone for reading. I figured it out I had put 1 otto in with them and he was terrorizing them causing too much stress. I always thought they kept to themselves *shrug*

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
My Guppy is always hanging out near the top of the tank and she seems to get along fine with my Oto. Hmm... I wonder now if mine is okay o.o

And if you're really worried, your 55 should be able to handle a few Gupps for a little while. Though it depends on what fish you have in there.

Personally, I've never had good luck with Guppies. They're very weak due to inbreeding and just aren't hardy. I've lost 7/8 Guppies I've ever had... :( I do hope you have better luck with yours though. :eek:

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Thanks for your reply *shrug* weird could have been just this one otto. I did move the guppies to 55 tank but the angelfish tried to eat them for a snack and the tetras were chasing them so I moved them back, anyway no more guppys for me I have 2 now a male and a female and 1 baby in the tank and the water is stable have had no ammonia reading all week or nitrites.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I was going to say no to the move if you had an Angel, but I wasn't sure :eek:
My Angels are very gentle, but they didn't like Guppies when I put them in. They got moved to my 20g, but I didn't bother replacing them when they started dying away. Too risky to have dying fish in the same tank as my Zebs. :(

I wish you the best of luck with your remaining ones. I hope the water stays stable for you :)