Guppy breeding

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
In a heated, filtered tank with plenty of places to hide and live plants (such as java moss and hornwort). The minimum tank size *I'd* recommend for guppy fry is 10gal, bigger if you have more fry. If you don't have a big enoug tank for the amount of fry your have, you'll stunt your fries growth.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Just add water.

...but if you're seriously looking to raise them well, a 10 gallon tank, as bassbonediva suggested, would be best. To prevent them from being "sucked up", a sponge filter would be the best means of filtration along with a small heater to keep the water warm. I would recommend a bare bottom tank so the fry don't bury themselves and completely agree on the suggestion of java moss- they love it! Anacharis would be good too, as it will float, partially sink, and provide lots of cover for them. Even if they have their own tank, they don't want to feel like they could potentially be hunted!

A few snails, probably Mystery Snails, would be good to keep algae away and the bottom clean. A few Algae eating shrimp wouldn't hurt either to clean up excess food and get rid of any fry that don't make it. They stay small and I've never had one go after a living fish.

Hikari makes an great fry food called "First Bites". It's a powdered variety of tropical food with extra good stuff for the fry! :) They need to be fed multiple times a day due to their very high metabolism, so expect to feed them at least in the morning, mid-day, and evening. They can also be fed on newly-hatched brine shrimp when they're very small and regular brine-shrimp as they grow.

I hope that helps a bit!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Anacharis would be good too, as it will float, partially sink, and provide lots of cover for them. Even if they have their own tank, they don't want to feel like they could potentially be hunted!
I suggest hornwort because it gets more dense than anacharis does. If left floating and to its own devices, hornwort can and will take over a tank. I would know since it's pretty much taken over my 55gal. :p I have over a dozen platy fry hiding in the hornwort in my 55gal which is full of hungry predators (female bettas, platies, guppies, and an upside down catfish).

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Basi, are you planning on keeping the fry in the same tank as the parents or any other adult fish? If not, the fry will need less hiding spots. But still do provide lots of plants anyway - it will help with your water quality, to boot - and a bare floor will be easiest for cleaning.