Guppy Fin Splitting

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
One of my male guppies' tail fin has never looked good since I bought him, meaning it has always had sort of chunks out of it. They never grew back and I assumed the betta I had with him was nipping a little. Well now he has a split running in the direction of his body and it goes nearly to the base of his body. The betta is dead so it is not that, and I am pretty sure my neons wouldn't nip, and neither would the gourami (he is uber peaceful just like my past betta- I am lucking out so far :D).

Is it possible for them to just have bad fins or something?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Supplementing on occasion with algae wafers and/or vegetables would be a good idea...simply slice up a cucumber or zuccini and hold it down into the tank using a plastic clip. My guppies love this!

But ultimately I think your guppy probably tore its fin on an object in the tank. I wouldn't get too preoccupied with diet when your number one priority should be in ridding the tank of the ich you referred to in another thread. Diet is important too, but it won't matter much if your fish are sick and suffering from poor water-quality (get that pH test kit!).

BV

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
ok. hahaha I even skipped out on getting the big master test kit because I didn't think I needed a pH kit :(. Unfortunately though I am in one of my busiest weeks in school and am gone for the weekend, so treating my tank and stuff will have to wai for a while, and that scares me :(.