guppy fish

Oct 23, 2009
Thabazimbi
Hi. I'm trying to breed with guppy's. i have bred some but my female guppies never have more than 2-15 babies at 1 birth. I want to know if a bigger guppy female have more babies than smaller females? I have bought 2 female guppies about 2 weeks ago. both of them are alreary pregnant they are about 7cm lang wiht there tails. And the guppy females i alreary have and that have bred are all 3cm with tails. That the one's that only have birth to about 2-15 babies at a time. So will the new guppy females i have now have more babies? Please help!!!!

Jan 30, 2010
First of all, try raising the water temp to 80 degrees farenheight
Second of all young guppy mothers produce smaller batches then older guppy mothers
Yes, if a guppy is bigger, it will probably produce more guppies

Good Luck

Source: I breed them myself

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
It's also possible that the other fish in your tank ate them, or they were sucked into the filter intake. You should move the parents to a separate tank and place the toe of a pair of pantyhose over the filter intake, if you have a hang-on-the-back filter. Beware of breeding livebearers. Soon you will have hundreds of baby fish and no where to put them.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
for guppies you can also use a large breeder box (the one with the V shape bottom for collecting fry) put the female in there about a week before you expect her to drop.