Guppy on Speed????

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
I just went to go feed my guppies and one of them is swimming around at top speed at the bottom of the tank and looks like his mouth is going a mile a minute. Does anyone know or think something is wrong. Its the first time I have seen any of them do that. Help worried owner. I just went to look again and he is in the corner mouth still going moving fast.

Last edited:

talk2mejjv

Small Fish
May 5, 2006
I'm not sure what is wrong with the guppy. Sorry! I was reading about your tank though, and I wouldn't suggest having 6 guppies, a cory catfish and a snail, all in the same five gallon tank. A good rule to go by is 1 inch of fish (grown size) to every one gallon. Don't worry about it now, but I wouldn't suggest getting any more fish. The guppies will also breed like rabbits if there are males and females. Just be ready for that. I'm not trying to scare you. I just want you to be ready because I wasn't warned properly before I started my aquarium. Good luck and I hope you find out what is wrong with the guppy.

Do you have any test kits and what kind of filter do you have? With its mouth moving like that (I'm guessing the gills are too) it sounds like the guppy is having trouble getting oxygen.

If there is not a filter it may be that not enough oxygen is being put into the water, or alternatively it could be due to poor water quality. So ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings would help up figure out whats wrong.

Edit: Also, I just noticed you have two bettas in the same tank! I strongly advise against this seeing as 1 gallon is barely enough room for one fish, let alone two but bettas also are very agressive to their own kind. If its two males I'm suprised they haven't fought to the death! I would advise taking one back to the shop before you end up with a dead fish.

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
ok I have all male guppies number one. As for my betta's they each have their own tank lol. I feel bad enough that the tanks are small, but to put two in there that would be really cruel. My guppy seems to be fine now and swimming normal really strange. I have an elite aquarium and an aqua clear 20 filter, and don't own a test kit. Actually never found one near where I live yet.

Last edited:

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
Thanks for the advice, I will try bringing my water sample to my lps, cause we don't have a fish store around here.LOL trust me had my experience with a pregnant guppy and he birth went on for 2 days. Day one I found she had a few babies, and I took them out. Then put the mother in a breeding net and she had more babies, then I took the babies out again and in the morning I found more babies. So it can last a few days I guess. Let me tell you thats when I gave my female guppies away and kept my males.

Last edited: